Long time lurker needs help

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by drakkensdottir, Oct 21, 2005.

1. drakkensdottir

drakkensdottir Well-Known Member

Hello all,

I've actually been lurking here since ya'll were still on greenspan -- I love this site. And now I have a situation where I need some help.

After making it through Katrina (we're currently in Louisiana - north of New Orleans), Hubby finally has had enough. Funny how something like that will light a fire under some...but I digress. He's landed a job in northern Idaho that pays really well - and will even be paying some or all of our moving costs. Here's the problem - we have to be there next week and we need a place to rent. I've been scouring the online classifieds, but almost everything says no pets, no smoking. Hubby smokes - though he's working on quitting. And we have both dogs and cats. Several, in fact of each.

So, we're looking for a place outside city limits -- we are small town people, after all -- and within about 30-45 minutes or less of Rathdrum, ID. We can afford a good size rent if we have to, but obviously prefer small/inexpensive if at all possible. There's only the three of us, so a 2-bedroom is plenty.

Any help or suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.

Drak

2. JanO

JanO Well-Known Member Supporter

I think you would be wise to enlist the help of a Realtor / property management company. They will know where to find what you need. Do an online search for real estate companies in the area. I'm sure you can find some help that way.

Good luck, your going to love Idaho.
    Jan

3. dlangland

dlangland dlangland

Just a thought, if the smoking is an issue, train your husband to smoke outside, instead of in the house. Deb

4. drakkensdottir

drakkensdottir Well-Known Member

Well, he's working on quitting -- maybe if he has to smoke outside with snow up to his fanny it'll help..... :eek: :D

5. pcwerk

pcwerk Well-Known Member Supporter

Thats funny! It would sure make me quit. Is there a Craigs List in Idaho?

james

6. mightybooboo

mightybooboo Well-Known Member

Lucky You!
    Idaho would be my first choice,but it just isnt possible for us.

BooBoo

7. Maggie10

Maggie10 Active Member

Have you looked at Spokesmanreview.com? N. Idaho real estate is listed there. The Exchange is also online. There should be vacation houses on the rental market. You would have to move again in June, but it would give you something for now. I would be careful--some places will be very nice and year round, some neither. You might see if you could get a buyers agent to help you find a rental or have your husband come ahead and you stay where you are or visit friends or family for a month or so while he looks at what is available. And remember, a 45 minute drive up here may be much longer in the winter if we have a normal or worse than normal winter. There are a lot of places you will need 4 wheel drive just to get in and out during the winter. Good luck, Maggie

8. Terri

Terri Singletree & Weight Loss & Permaculture Moderator Staff Member Supporter

If you are moving that far North, buy your winter coats in the area you intend to move in to. I don't think you can buy a warm enough coat in Florida.

9. Lisa in WA

Lisa in WA Well-Known Member Supporter

10. Wolf mom

Wolf mom Well-Known Member

Welcome :cowboy:

11. Lisa in WA

Lisa in WA Well-Known Member Supporter

Have you checked out Blanchard and Spirit Lake? They are nice small towns that are pretty convenient to Rathdrum. I'd go for Blanchard because it's in Bonner County. Fewer restrictions.

12. Rick

Rick Well-Known Member Supporter

Can you find someone to watch the pets, boarding them if you must, and go find a suitable place to move into?

Rick