Long Term Storage of Anti-Freeze

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Quint, Jul 26, 2005.

1. Quint

Quint Well-Known Member

Anybody know how long a person can store ethylene glycol antifreeze? Does the stuff have a shelf life? Should it be stored in plastic or metal container?

2. uncle Will in In.

uncle Will in In. Well-Known Member Supporter

I have some in my Farmall that was in it when I bought the tractor around 12 years ago. Hasn't froze yet. It comes in plastic. Must be OK to store in it.

3. indypartridge

indypartridge Well-Known Member Supporter

When I was cleaning out a barn last summer, there was a shelf in the back with some never-opened gallon jugs of antifreeze. When I went to move them, they broke. The plastic had become very brittle and they split open when I tried to pick them up.

4. foxtrapper

foxtrapper Well-Known Member Supporter

The manufacturers will tell you it's only got a shelf life of a few years. But the recyclers keep using it over and over again. I've used it from jugs well over a decade old without incident.

5. Cosmic

Cosmic Well-Known Member

AFAIK, antifreeze has no pratical shelf live if stored properly.

Last forever in daily use. My 1993 colt still has the original load. As mentioned the recyclers reclaim and process it to be resold over and over again.

Best to be stored in the container you bought it in. Today that is usually a heavy plastic jug.

In industrial uses, the stuff is used for many, many years. They may clean it up occassionally and top it out but rarely change it out.

6. norris

norris Well-Known Member

I was a mechanic for 22 years and never heard of any going bad on the shelf.

Anti-freeze is ethelyne glycol. polyethelyne glycol, which looks and smells the same is one of the best preservatives around.

7. Quint

Quint Well-Known Member

Thanks for the info. I didn't think there was any particular reason why it wouldn't keep. I've got some plastic coated drums that I'm going to use. Should be pretty durable. I can get about 20 - 40 gallons for free and thought I'd take advantage of the opportunity especially since the government is about to screw around with E-G anti-freeze by mandating that manufacturers put additives in it.

8. Oilpatch197

Oilpatch197 Well-Known Member

BTW I've just learned our state will require the "sour stuff" to be put into antifreeze so childern and animals won't drink it.