Long term plans/goals?

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by HilltopDaisy, Nov 23, 2003.

1. HilltopDaisy

HilltopDaisy Well-Known Member Supporter

I'm interested in hearing about your long term plans.

I spent 5 years scrimping and saving, paying off debts, and dreaming about what it would be like to have my place in the country. I have my beautiful piece of land now, with improvements, an old mobile home, big shed, chickens, fruit trees, the big garden, etc.. I've been here exactly a year.

I guess at this point I feel as though I'm "blocked" in my head, I can't seem to come up with the plans on what to do next. I'm of the mindset "Believe it and you'll see it", or creative visualization. I can "see" the pond and barn, and the new house, all in the plans for the next few years. I want it to come together in greater detail, rather than "Someday I'll have a pond". I've had a wonderful time this past year, enjoying the fresh air and country sounds, and I've gotten a lot done. Maybe it's because winter is fast approaching, but I feel like I'm drifting along without a solid plan. That makes me uncomfortable. Maybe it's because of some of the posts I've read recently, about prosperity followed by hard times.

Whether it's goals you've met or plans you have in place, I really would like to hear about it. The greater the detail, the better. Thanks.

2. claysoldier

claysoldier Guest

3. HermitJohn

HermitJohn Well-Known Member

I wouldnt get too concerned about your final destination, just enjoy the journey. You'll pick up bits of knowledge and experience. The more you accumulate the easier to tackle bigger projects.

4. Carol K

Carol K Well-Known Member

HD, I'm in Ny also, and I use the winter to come up with my next years projects. I also need the winter to get over the rest of the year!!

Make out next years gardening plans, research some new vegetables or some grains to help feed any animals you have, try new things. Run adds in the local papers that you need free/cheap canning supplies for next year and start picking up those. Try an evening class to learn a new hobby. Cut wood for next year if you need it. Loads of things to do, make a sled to haul stuff on in the winter.
    Read through all your old Countryside magazines with a cup of hot chocolate and watch the snow-that's my favorite!!

Carol K

5. Mike in Ohio

Mike in Ohio Well-Known Member

We generally plan for one large project each year. Sometimes we end up with more than one just because an opportunity arises that we feel shouldn't be passed up (like purchasing a parcel of land from our neighbor).

This winters project is a new barn. This will lay the foundation for future projects because it will allow us to run electric to our cabin and give us indoor space for working on large projects in inclement weather. It also allows us to store hay and in a seperate part expand our honey business.

Winter is a time for us to work on our woodenware (beehives) in preperation for the following season. It's also a time when we work on budgets and plans (that's what we are doing now to determine if there is anything we need to do before year end).

We always have smaller projects (It's great to break larger projects into smaller more digestible chunks).

As someone else mentioned, it's the journey not the destination.

Mike

6. Shrek

Shrek Singletree Moderator Staff Member

I just keep working my Singletree Knoll project development lab every day and keep looking of the right woman to share my knoll with .