Long Equipment

Discussion in 'Shop Talk' started by billdarlene, Nov 16, 2006.

1. billdarlene

billdarlene Well-Known Member

I am looking at purchasing a Long 5 in 1 backhoe has anyone ever heard of this brand before seems like a good machine at a resonable price just cant find out much about it.

2. dagwood

dagwood Well-Known Member

3. agmantoo

agmantoo agmantoo Supporter

I think the Long you are referencing is a Romania sourced imported machine. Personally I do not like the Long tractors, others do. The machines are rather rugged but problematic. The engines vibrate excessively and are prone for the injection lines to break. Additionally they leak various fluids (oils) and I have never seen a dry one. Machining of the castings are crude.

4. haypoint

haypoint Unpaid, Volunteer Devil's Advocate Supporter

I owned a Long backhoe. It was a 3 point hitch model, I think 1200A. When I got it, it was worn out. All the pins and bushings were sloppy. I ordered new bushings and made new pins. The hyd. cylinders were rusty, so I replaced or rebuilt all the cylinders. Most of the hoses were in bad shape, so I replaced them. This unit can use the tractor's pump or it's own pump. I bought a pump that runs off the tractor's PTO. Good thing that I got it for free, 'cause I had nearly enough money into it to buy a new one! Worked good and I got a lot of work out of it.