long distance phone service

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Running Wild, Mar 7, 2005.

1. Running Wild

Running Wild Well-Known Member

Hi...I'd like to see if anyone has a recommendation for a reliable, inexpensive long distance phone service. Right now, we use Verizon (since we have their broad band service). For a while, we used one of their all inclusive plans, but it was expensive--lots of taxes and service charges. Now we're on a pay-as-you call plan and my past three bills have been more expensive than the all-inclusive price. Unfortunately, after moving around (military) for the past 20+ years, we have friends all over the place, so we make a lot of long distance calls.

Thanks!

2. moopups

moopups In Remembrance

In beautiful downtown Sticks, near Belleview, Fl.
    Check out USADatanet as your LD service, there is a $10.00 sign up fee, then you get all LD calls for $1.50 each, no time limits, no monthly charges, no add ons, they also have internet service.

3. perennial

perennial Well-Known Member

I too had the all inclusive plan and went off it and increased minutes on cell phone. Although it worked for calling my mom a toll call. I found it wasn't
    worth it for out of state calls which were sometimes long.

From my recent experience, i would get the all inclusive plan and cut something out of the food budget or some other budget to make up for it.

I recently went back on the all inclusive plan because of that.

4. gccrook

gccrook Well-Known Member

If you have broadband, you should consider a VOIP like Vonage or Packet 8. We use Vonage, and like it so far, and is much cheaper than anything wee had before. If you choose Vonage, I could refer you and you get some $ back and I do also. My brother uses Packet 8 and seems to like it.

5. crashy

crashy chickaholic goddess

We have Vonage and love it we call family all the time now. I call my grammy shes 84 this year and now that my calls are free I bug here just about everyday hehehehehe...she loves it tho considering I am her princess :eek:

6. mellba

mellba Well-Known Member Supporter

If you don't mind dialing an access number, www.onesuite.com is a good choice. There are no monthly or connection fees and it is 2.5 cents per minute if you live where they have a local access number or 2.9 cents per minute if you have to dial their 800 number. Our telephone service has a tiny local calling area, so almost all our calls are long distance. Their rates to other countries are great too.

7. Gary in ohio

Gary in ohio Well-Known Member Supporter

If you have broadband, VOIP might be an option. As you move around you dont need to change numbers, keep the same one and let the VOIP box do the location work.

Consider dropping wired phone and go cellular altogreather, using a box like cellsocket http://www.cellsocket.com/ you can connect a cell phone to your in house phones. The right plan will give your lD and local calls at reasonable price.

dont have voip yet, but use Promise keepers LD. THey offer a non montly fee and 3c/min. They also offer free 800 serice at the same 3c/min for incommming calls.

8. willow_girl

willow_girl Very Dairy

We have the same problem!

I cancelled long distance service on the landline and bought a Sprint calling card at Kmart. Yes, it takes about 20 seconds longer to connect (dial 1800 # and input 9-digit code) but for the savings, it's worth it IMO. :)

9. Wannabee

Wannabee Foggy Dew Farms

I did the same thing! Our rinky-dink small town Indiana phone service was killing us. I got rid of long distance all together. The only thing I can call from a landline is 1-800 or other toll-free numbers. I bought our cards at Sams Club - It is unbelieveable cheap. 3.4 cents a minute or something like that. I call Germany frequently, and it is VERY reasonable to do that with the Sams card, too.......

10. manygoatsnmore

manygoatsnmore Well-Known Member Supporter

We went to the Costco calling card. 3 cents a minute anytime and when your minutes run low you can recharge them from a credit or debit card so you don't have to try to remember new pin numbers all the time. It works well for us.

11. TheBlueOne

TheBlueOne Well-Known Member

Vonage. $16.97 a month, tax included, for local AND long distance service to all of the USA and Canada. I think they charge 3 cents per minute to call Europe. We save $400 a year over a conventional landline + long distance.
    When we did have long distance our best deal was through Farm Bureau.

12. mikell

mikell Well-Known Member

I use a Wallgreen calling card it was on sale for 20$ for something like 18 hours. Just programed the numbers into speed dial. No taxes no bs just long distance.My Nextel was good until their billing went out of control.

mikell