LOLOLOL... ever hear of a rocking goat?

Discussion in 'Goats' started by Wingdo, Oct 17, 2006.

1. Wingdo

Wingdo Well-Known Member Supporter

Well... I got this real nice phone call some months ago from one of the medical student at UK. She said that she heard I built unusual toys and such and would I mind donating a couple of items to an anual auction/fundraiser for the students. It sounded like a good cause, so I told the girl sure... come on over and get some things.

She showed up a couple of weeks later and was like a kid in a candy store! She wanted one of these two of those, a couple of them things, and, as she was walking out the door she happened to look on a mantle and saw this little rocking goat I made some years back. It was just a little 6" profile of a Boer goat that I put rockers on out of boredom one day. Did you know that you can duplicate the colors of a Boer goat with nothing more than poplar and walnut?

Well anyway...

"Oh, can I have one of those too," she asked.

Why sure, and I picked it up and put it in her bag of toys.

I hadn't heard anything from her in a spell so I wrote it off as they didn't auction off very well. Last week I got a note that said my little cars/trucks went over pretty well and brought in $100-$125 each... but nothing about my goat. Well today I got another letter from the university, saying my goat sold for $212... for a 6" rocking goat!

Flabergasted is the best way I can explain my joy over this, although confused as all get out comes in a real close second! Just goes to show you, you can never figure out what folks like, no matter how hard you don't try!

2. goatmarm

goatmarm Well-Known Member

3. pookshollow

pookshollow Pook's Hollow

That's really interesting - I would love to see a picture of it (but I bet you didn't take any, did you? :p )

Yes! And nobody has goat "stuff" - roosters, cows, pigs, horses galore, but no goats! I'm going to draw up a goat Christmas card this year and send it out to friends and family - maybe make a few to sell at a craft show or two as well. Who knows? Maybe goats will be the next "big" thing? :)

4. PygmyLover

PygmyLover nigerian & pygmy breeder

I totally agree!! you can never find goat callendars or pictures or anything!!!

5. Sweet Goats

Sweet Goats Cashmere goats

Congratulations. What a wonderful thing you did, and little did you know that it was going to help as much as it did.
    I agree with the others, lease try to post some pictures and maybe you could sell some of your work.

6. pookshollow

Sooo, if I did up a line of artwork (calendars, mugs, T-shirts), do you think there would be a market for it? :p I have an idea for a children's book about goats - just have to sit down and write it and illustrate it! (and market it and . . . . )

7. PygmyLover

PygmyLover nigerian & pygmy breeder

if marketed right I would think so

8. Sweet Goats

Sweet Goats Cashmere goats

I am on another goat chat area and they have a lady that sells the most beautiful calenders. They are really nice and they have TONS of info on them. If you would like me to post her site I would ne happy to. I just don't want to step on any toes.

9. pookshollow

I don't think you'd be stepping on any toes - I haven't done anything yet! LOL And I'd be curious to see what's out there. :)