Loking for AI services near Savannah Georgia???

Discussion in 'Goats' started by MrsLewis, Apr 4, 2005.

1. MrsLewis

MrsLewis Member

Hi, we just moved about an hour outside of Savannah and I have need of AI services. I have an excellent Herd sire but unfortunately, due to Deer Worm Damage to his nervous system, I don't think he will be able to mount my does. He is recovering well....getting stronger but it's almost like the poor guy had a stroke. Anyways, a friend suggested I have his stuff harvested to continue breeding my does to and it makes sense.....except I have no idea where to start. I even thought of getting into this myself except it looks pretty expensive to do. Any ideas? Thanks.

Many blessings,
    Kimberly

2. billooo2

billooo2 Well-Known Member Supporter

I am not sure what you mean by "AI Service." As far as I know, there are no organizations like they have for dairy cattle. There are no organizations that you can call and have them come to your farm and do AI. A lot of people with dairy goats do AI, but they do it themselves. If you buy the tank, etc. "used," you can save a lot of money on the initial costs.

There are companies that will "collect" your buck. There is one, Superior Semen Works, which makes trips around the country, "collecting" bucks. Often the state dairy goat associations will give "clinincs" on how to do AI.

Or you may find someone close to you who will show you how to do AI. Another possibility might be to "rent" some space in someone else's tank. This saves the cost of the initial investment, but it may make the actual AI more inconvenient.....taking your does to the place where the tank is located.....unless you have a good way to keep the semen frozen until you get home and are ready to use it.

Good Luck!!

3. MrsLewis

MrsLewis Member

That's exactly what I am looking for....when we were in MO, there were several folks who would come to your farm and do AI services on your does. I believe they would also collect as well. They charged a fee plus miliege. We were looking into it before we found our buck. He has a great pedigree and sires beautiful daughters. I hate to lose him. I'd like to find out more about learning how to do it myself though. I guess I'll be looking for used equipment but in the meantime, I'd like to find someone to come and harvest from my buck and "rent" space like you said.
    Thanks for your help.