Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3,058 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'd like to build a splitter. Anyone have pictures of one they built? Directions or hints/tips. Part #'s for cylinders, spool valves, ect.

·
Premium Member
1,875 Posts
i've built a few, mostly using northern tool hydraulic parts. the metal stuff we fabricated. northern list log splitter valves (usually have a hydraulic operated detent), cylinder stroke depends on log length you plan to split, the diameter sets the tonnage you want with an available psi. most of the one's i have made are for farmers that use them behind the tractors they already own...so we tap into the tractor hydraulics. usually between 2400 and 2800 psi. if you have to purchase a motor and pump,,,,its hard to build cheaper than purchasing. info: the wedge northern has for sale is nothing but the normal steel used for structural building, we mill an edge on hot rolled steel, it works fine.

i think i have plans on acad,,,but they were designed using the i beams we had on hand... design is not hard, just be perpaired to shape, drill and weld heavy structural steel. be glad to help you if i can

·
Registered
3,058 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I plan on using the tractor hydraulics, at least initially. If I like the setup I'd look into adding an engine and pump. I'd like to build it as a horizontal towed trailer spliter so if it works I could haul it behind the truck to split at other sites. Do you have a diagram for the plumbing on the splitter? I do have a Northern catalog, I'll check it for the parts. I'll check the specs. on my tractor to find the psi rating and flow rate.

·
In memoriam
79,016 Posts
Farmerwilly2 said:
I plan on using the tractor hydraulics, at least initially. If I like the setup I'd look into adding an engine and pump. I'd like to build it as a horizontal towed trailer spliter so if it works I could haul it behind the truck to split at other sites. Do you have a diagram for the plumbing on the splitter? I do have a Northern catalog, I'll check it for the parts. I'll check the specs. on my tractor to find the psi rating and flow rate.
I'd build it so it would tilt horizontally for travel and vertically for splitting.
That way you wont have to lift the logs up, but can just roll them into place.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.