Log Splitter Recommendations?

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by brianosaur, Jul 5, 2005.

1. brianosaur

brianosaur Member

Although I am not exactly a homesteader, I hoped this would be an appropriate place to post this thread to folks who know a lot more about firewood and wood burning then myself. ...although I suspect many here may split wood by hand.

I would like to purchace a splitter that would simplify my log-to-firewood labor. I see many types of splitters with various price ranges. I figured I'd spend between $1000 and $2000 on one. Is a $2k splitter twice as good (speed, efficiany, quality, power) as a $1k splitter. Is it worth the extra grand? I'm not opposed to spending the money ...I just don't want to waist it.

I will burn (only) three or four cords of wood this winter.

What is a good splitter for me under $2000?

2. Cabin Fever

Cabin Fever Life NRA Member since 1976 Supporter

[​IMG]

I got mine from NorthernTool. 22-ton, 5.5 hp Honda. Splits horizontal and vertical. Splits anything I put into it. About $1200. Never a problem with it. I'd recommend it to anyone.

3. seedspreader

seedspreader AFKA ZealYouthGuy

speaking of log splitting...

Has anyone used one of these?

[​IMG]

4. Sparticle

Sparticle Well-Known Member Supporter

What is that? I've got a pile of wood higher than my head that needs to be split and I don't think I can do it the old fashioned way.

5. OD

OD Well-Known Member

We found one on sale at Tractor Supply for $500 that runs off the hydraulics on the tractor. It will split anything we put in it, & there is virtually no upkeep on it, because it doesn't have an engine. We have split at least 20 cords of wood with & it works like a brand new one.
    [​IMG]

6. Jolly

Jolly Well-Known Member

Sweet Gum.

The defining moment of whether you have a log splitter for everything is sweetgum.

It's almost a trash tree down here. Oh, they make pallets out of it, and I've seen it used for pulpwood, but most folks just don't fool with it. But one man's trash is another man's treasure...

Sweetgum should be cut in late winter, before the sap starts rising. It takes a mighty good splitter, with a lot of umph to get the job done. See, lots of times, you don't split sweetgum, you tear it apart. For your efforts, though, you get a decent burning wood...lots of grey ash, and it burns a bit quick when dry, but it burns well (just don't try to burn it green or wet).

Personally, I wouldn't tackle gum with less than twenty tons, and thirty is better. But if you don't want to be the wooly-booger on the block, you can avoid such woods as gum, and get by with a whole lot less. If we're only talking about a few cords, especially if it's smaller stuff, I still like the old 6 lb maul. At a certain size, it's faster than the hydraulic splitter...the difference is that the hydraulics will still be workin' when you ain't. :D

Bottom line...look for more than 20 tons, look for one that will split in the vertical mode (easier to handle the big stuff), and look for one around a thousand bucks.

7. brianosaur

brianosaur Member

8. cruiser3006

cruiser3006 Active Member

When I was in Alaska, there were several of my neighbors that used the harbor freight models. No problems with the splitter functions. The B&S / Tecumseh engines were what they had problems with (high maintenance and fuel consumption). Two of my neighbors changed engines to Honda and had a lot better performance/reliability with less maintenance and fuel consumption. The B&S / Tecumseh engines that you normally get with generators, lawnmowers, chipper/shredders and etc. are usually low quality and cheaper with a shorter usable lifespan. The engine on the logsplitter will be your primary expense / maintence item.
    The choice is yours, this is just my opinion and experience.

9. brianosaur

brianosaur Member

10. brianosaur

brianosaur Member

What about this Sears Craftsman 6.5 hp, 27 ton, for $1200?

Seems like a good deal and I can always go back to the store if there is a problem.

http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/prod...ertical=SEARS&pid=07177466000&tab=spe#tablink

-Cruiser, The engine listed at the Northern Tool website IS a Honda.

http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/...?storeId=6970&productId=200315003&R=200315003

11. Cabin Fever

The Sears presumably has more power and a cheaper price, but I don’t like the way its put together and the slow cycle speed (18 seconds). It appears that you can operate the Sears only from one side. The engine is in the way of the other side. And I don’t like the axle under the business end of the Sears model…it’s in the way. Look at where the axle and the engine are on the Northern Tool model…out of the way under the ram cylinder. The Northern has a quicker cycle time, (14 seconds), top mounted control lever and can be operated from either side. The Honda engine on the Northern Tool model is a superior engine to the B&S on the Sears.

12. brianosaur

brianosaur Member

You identified some good points Cabin Fever btwn the Sears and the NT splitters. Good advice. The cm looks a bit sloppy and you are the 2nd one to mention the Honda.

You said your NT was a 22ton? I don't see that on there web site - just the 20 ton.

13. mikell

mikell Well-Known Member

Just make sure whatever you get you don't have to lift the log over any part to put it on the bed. Motor , tires ,pump ect.

mikell

14. Alex

Alex Well-Known Member

Cabin, thanks for the nice picture. Very nice idea, a wood splitter. And thanks for all the other references and comments. I do not think we will get one -- but it sure looks like fun. It would be fun to get one -- or order on online and have them ship it right to me.

No, I will wait, and keep using the splitting maul.

Thanks, though, maybe later.

Alex

P.S. The first year in our cabin, we used 20 cords of wood, before we rocked in the bottom. Then for the next few years around 10 cords, after we tightened it up a bit. Now, we are not there 100% of the time in winter: though we would use around 5 to 8 cords. It still gets down to -40F the odd time -- more like only -35F, though it seems to be warming, and winters are not as cold as they used to be, just as long though.

Some of our wood does not have to be split at all, because our new Blaze King will burn 8 to 10" logs unsplit just fine.

15. Cabin Fever

Well, if I did'nt use my log splitter I wouldn't have as much time as I do now to workout at the gym.

16. Alex

Alex Well-Known Member

HA, our pellet stove is along the same lines. Still like your splitter.

Alex

17. Orville

Orville Well-Known Member

My log splitter is a burly son-in-law.

18. seedspreader

seedspreader AFKA ZealYouthGuy

Sorry, passed up this response...

I found it on ebay. Here is the description...