Log Homes

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Snugglebunny, Oct 29, 2004.

1. Snugglebunny

Snugglebunny Well-Known Member

My Hubby has told me he would like a log home.. my question is pricing. Anyone have any idea how much a log home costs?? We are specifically looking at the "Real Log Homes"

Any info would be great...

2. coalroadcabin

coalroadcabin Well-Known Member

Snugglebunny,
    We too are planning to build a log home (this time next year, we hope) I've been researching for about 3 years (12 if you count the 'just dreaming stage :) ) As to pricing, it can be either very very expesive or very economical (and every $$ in between) Check out loghomereports.com to see if there are any comments on Real Log Homes. Also, I would strongly suggest that you check out lhoti.com. There are members there that are handcrafters, dealers, builders, restorers, log home owners, architects.........if you do a search on the archives there you can find out what some others have said about "Real Log Homes". I'll be looking for you there :)
    ~Susan

3. painterswife

painterswife Sock puppet reinstated Supporter

Not to burst your bubble but have you considered the downside to log homes.(I have lived in a few!) Even built one.

Harder to heat
    Bugs!
    Lots of dust collect on the logs unless you are constantly cleaning.
    Electrical instalation costs more
    Settling

We are about to build again. I love the look but talk myself out of it everytime I start feeling myself heading in that direction. I think we will go the route of a few well placed log beams in the house instead.

I live in the land of log homes, Jackson Wyoming. They are difficult to finish and maintain as well. They keep calling and I have to remeber the drafts, the dust and the bugs!

4. tatanka

tatanka Well-Known Member

We built a log home in 1993 that we lived in for 8 years before moving cross country. I don't know what area you are building in but after doing a lot of research we got our 8" x 6" logs straight from the local sawmill. We had the outer shell (logs) stacked for us by a local log house builder and then we did everything else ourselves. We designed the house, framed the inside walls, laid the hardwood, did the plumbing, electric, heating, cooling, built the cabinets, and put all the interior wood up. All the walls were wood with the exception of one little 1/2 bath in the hallway. The price for our house was $30 a square foot by the time we were finished and even though we did almost all the work ourselves that cost includes rental equipment, getting utilities, plumbing, septic tank and all the permits. This was a tremendously cheaper than just getting the shell package from a log company and doing it all ourselves. We loved everything about the house. The only draw back was trying to sell it when we had to move....everybody loved it but now a days nobody wants to have to do upkeep on a house. My DH and I have decided that when we get to move back home we are going to build again. This time we will still do most of the work but instead of real logs we are going to try something different. I love the look of post and beam homes for the interior and you can find some fabulous log wallpaper that looks better than real logs. Also, you can buy a fantastic siding that requires no maintenance. I am not sure if it is metal siding or vinyl but it comes in many colors and the houses I have seen it on looks great. Good Luck with your dream. I have been there and when it all comes together it is an awesome experience. One suggestion is to start cutting out pictures of anything and everything you like about log homes, then seperate them into kitchens, dining rooms, etc., then decide what you like about each one and then you will know what you want when the time comes. I put it all into a album to use while picking things out. Now I still have the album as a wonderful reminder along with our pictures and memories of our dream home.

Good Luck,
    Marla

5. fellersbarnone

fellersbarnone Member

We had our log home built and LOVE it despite ridiculous problems with our builder. Its quiet and beautiful but ended up quite a bit higher than a conventional home

Off subject(sorry)I wanted to ask tatanka about the gelding. How is he? explanation for my interest in falling gelding post.

Good luck with your home!

6. Irish Pixie

Irish Pixie "You have to be odd to be number one." Dr Seuss

We have a 17 year old 1600 square foot log cabin. We've lived here 5 years (NY State) and have never had a problem with it. It heats very well, and economically, with just a medium sized woodstove. It's a "Northern Products" log home.

We're very, very happy with our log home.

Stacy in NY