Log home plans?

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by mountainman_bc, Nov 24, 2005.

1. mountainman_bc

mountainman_bc Well-Known Member

I'm finding hundreds of log home plans searching the internet but just can't find the right one. They are all basically the same inside.
    Does anyone know of either:
    -an interactive site where you can plan your log cabin how you want it or
    -a good site with heaps of original plans?

I have a pretty good idea of what I want, but the views here are such that you basically need an original plan. I will be having it made as a kit, they are able to design but of course there is a fee so I want to find my 'ideal' plan and take that in to be reworked.

By the way I am trying to go as big as possible but keeping it really basic (2000 sq foot rectangle) Anything fancy and the price goes way up.
    Thanks for any help!

2. Hoop

Hoop Well-Known Member

You're better off to purchase some home design software and play around on your computer, moving things about until you come up with a satisfactory design.

Of course, it goes without saying that a professional designer should give your design the "once over". Professionals do this for a living and will be able to point out shortcomings (if any) in the plans. IMHO, it is money very well spent.

Be very careful on purchasing log home kits. Some log home kits are built just barely better than modulars/trailers. People have a tendancy to purchase something from a company that has the best marketing, best model home, best salepeople, etc. Talk to someone that has owned & lived in one of the kits for a minimum of 5 years.
    I'd also advise getting a price comparison with a handcrafted log home. Alpine Log Homes is undoubtedly among the top log home builders in the country, with its homes being repeatedly featured in "Architectural Digest". Compare the price of your kit with one of the top of the line log home manufacturers.

One example that comes to mind is a person that built a huge (32 x 90) log home here in Northern Wisconsin. He had a Tennessee log home kit manufacturer build the house. It is woefully inadequate for the cold Wisconsin winters with its paltry 6" walls.

3. MELOC

MELOC Master Of My Domain

perhaps i am biased because of my exposure to this company but i was very impressed with kuhn's brothers log homes from lewisburg pennsylvania. they had a good system and seemingly good support. the logs are milled and kiln dried. they seal air-tight with a dato type groove and a foam seal. check to see if these guys are still around.

ok i found them http://www.kuhnsbros.com/

4. mountainman_bc

mountainman_bc Well-Known Member

Thanks both of you for the help. I think the log home manufacturer here would maybe not best be called a kit builder. They do some huge amazing homes right down to cabins. All being original projects. I would just be having the pre cut logs moved here and I'd be fitting them together, unless the price for building is reasonable.
    They have guarantees, and being in the small town I know they'd take care of me. Really good people.
    I'm going to look into the software, that's probably exactly what I'm needing.

And the Kuhnsbros homes- those are just awesome. They are beyond me for the most part bu I did book mark it as there are interior pics which is rare to see, may help keep things in perspective.