Log Cabin seminar

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by AshleyB, Oct 4, 2005.

1. AshleyB

AshleyB Well-Known Member

Does anyone have any experience with the seminar held by this company http://www.loghomebuilders.org/

It looks interesting, but wanted to see if anyone here had first hand experience.

2. coalroadcabin

coalroadcabin Well-Known Member

Ashley,
    I don't know where you live, but you may want to check out this school:

CLICK HERE

I think the Skip Ellsworth class is more of a seminar, whereas Bill Lasko's is more hands on. Depends on what you are looking for, I guess. Both stress building debt free.

3. AshleyB

AshleyB Well-Known Member

Thanks!!! I am definitely interested in hands on. Have you attended classes? How did you like them?

4. coalroadcabin

coalroadcabin Well-Known Member

No, I haven't attended classes. We made the decision several years ago to hire someone to do our logs and use the skills we already have to finish our cabin (fingers are crossed that that will happen next spring!!)

I belong to another forum (lhoti.com) where Bill Lasko sometimes posts--he's been very helpful answering my questions regarding building and finishing our log home. And as a member of the ILBA, he has had some very interesting things to say regarding the minimum standards for log building. Basically, he doesn't think they are stringent enough. And I do know that one of the premier log handcrafters in Canada has hired Bill to teach the art of log building to some of his employees.

The folks on Skip Ellsworth's site (not Skip personally, I think he may be semi-retired) have been real friendly as well. I haven't spent as much time on their forum but if I were you I would register there and ask the members if they found the class to be helpful.

While I am not expert enough to comment on the building methods taught by either school, I do know that they both advocate debt-free living--which is a plus in my book.

I think both are worthwhile schools--the more you learn about anything the better off you are, IMO--but they have different approaches to teaching. Only you can decide which method of teaching would benefit you the most.