Discussion Starter #1

·
Be powerful. No other option exists.
38,805 Posts
Exactamundo.

·
Registered
714 Posts
One never makes the wrong diagnosis when viewing the case thru the retro-specto-scope.

When the decision to shut things down was made, it was the right decision...But as the data came in thru the next three months, it should have been obvious to all that we should have opened things back up completely ASAP....Those (blue) states that remain relatively closed are doing so out of a strictly political POV- intended to keep the economy dragging to make Trump look bad....Are the voters too stupid to see thru that?

·
Shazbot!
4,985 Posts
One never makes the wrong diagnosis when viewing the case thru the retro-specto-scope.

When the decision to shut things down was made, it was the right decision...But as the data came in thru the next three months, it should have been obvious to all that we should have opened things back up completely ASAP....Those (blue) states that remain relatively closed are doing so out of a strictly political POV- intended to keep the economy dragging to make Trump look bad....Are the voters too stupid to see thru that?
Are the dumb masses to stupid to know the difference? Absolutely!

·
Registered
14,890 Posts
Many of the internet people are turning this blue dog into a neocon. I never thought I would live to see that day either. Have they lost all of their minds?

I am not sure I can even vote for a blue dog catcher now.

·
38,805 Posts
Blue dog?

Neocon?

·
38,805 Posts
Reactions: mreynolds

·
Registered
14,890 Posts
Dang. Learned something.

The Blue Dog Coalition, commonly known as the Blue Dogs or Blue Dog Democrats, is a caucus of United States congressional representatives from the Democratic Party who identify as fiscally responsible and centrist. The caucus professes an independence from the leadership of both parties and promotes national defense.[3][7]
I used to be friends with Charlie Wilson if that tells you anything. I was actually at his literal death bed 10 minutes after it happened. He wasn't as nice as Tom Hanks made him out to be either but he did care about both sides in his area. That was why he got elected. Even my mother (who has said she would vote for a mangy cur dog Republican before a Democrat) voted for "Good Time Charlie". He was that good to his people.

Modern day politicians have forgotten how they got elected.

·
38,805 Posts

·
Registered
487 Posts
According to an analysis recently published here at Revolver, the coronavirus lockdowns may have saved up to 750,000 life years, but in return they destroyed 18.7 million life-years, thanks to the long-term toll of poverty, health problems, suicides, substance abuse, and more that are inflicted on the people through a weaker economy and long-term career turmoil.
I've been arguing this for some time. Now it's touched me personally, as this was exactly the case with the funeral I just attended.

·
Administrator
19,222 Posts
I don't think we can begin to tally the true cost of lockdowns.

I look at all the seniors who were locked away from family. Many with little time left to enjoy their loved ones, others who lost cognitive skills or completely lost the ability to recognize family members.

I see elderly who have lost vitality and are now sitting at home in front of their televisions suffering from depression because the groups and organizations they enjoyed are closed.

Besides the financial cost of weddings and family reunions being rescheduled, some will be missing family members who will simply won't be around for next time.

I've watched surgeries delayed because those hospitals were closed and know a few people who died because their surgeries were delayed too long.

Border closures have separated families for an indefinite period of time and my elderly aunt will not see her grandchildren again before she dies, unless the border happens to reopen in a matter of days.

I don't claim to have any more answers than anyone else but it's going to take a long time before anyone will convince me that lockdowns didn't harm as many people as it's assumed to have saved.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I can't speak for others, but the shutdown has been amazingly beneficial to me. I worked from home 3 out of 5 days anyway, so going to everyday was no big deal. It made it so I could spend most of my time with the grandpeep in SC. I've saved a ton of money everyone always wanted to go out to eat, now they just have to suffer with my home cookin. Tell me how helping the baby take his first steps or reading to him or feeding him etc. etc etc ...... is a bad thing. Tell me how this is so much different than Northern folk 100 years ago that were snowed in from October to April??????

·
Registered
9,595 Posts
I don't think we can begin to tally the true cost of lockdowns.

I look at all the seniors who were locked away from family. Many with little time left to enjoy their loved ones, others who lost cognitive skills or completely lost the ability to recognize family members.

I see elderly who have lost vitality and are now sitting at home in front of their televisions suffering from depression because the groups and organizations they enjoyed are closed.

Besides the financial cost of weddings and family reunions being rescheduled, some will be missing family members who will simply won't be around for next time.

I've watched surgeries delayed because those hospitals were closed and know a few people who died because their surgeries were delayed too long.

Border closures have separated families for an indefinite period of time and my elderly aunt will not see her grandchildren again before she dies, unless the border happens to reopen in a matter of days.

I don't claim to have any more answers than anyone else but it's going to take a long time before anyone will convince me that lockdowns didn't harm as many people as it's assumed to have saved.
There have been to many deaths among the elder population and not from covid. There is a man in town that needed back surgery, he is now in a wheel chair and it's doubtful he'll be able to regain the use of his legs even with surgery. The hospital nearest us furloughed or layed off over half the employees, since they shut down elective surgery. There are many problems that have yet to surface.

·
Banned
30,992 Posts
In the United States, and perhaps other countries, if an elderly person is alert, oriented, and not a danger to themselves or others (the same goes for those with mental health conditions) they can be taken home from nursing homes and mental health facilities as long as the living space is safe. It may involve contacting health and human services. Go get your elderly and mentally ill family members and take care of them at home so they won't be isolated.

I know a family that is doing this right now, it can be done.

·
Registered
5,498 Posts
I can't speak for others, but the shutdown has been amazingly beneficial to me. I worked from home 3 out of 5 days anyway, so going to everyday was no big deal. It made it so I could spend most of my time with the grandpeep in SC. I've saved a ton of money everyone always wanted to go out to eat, now they just have to suffer with my home cookin. Tell me how helping the baby take his first steps or reading to him or feeding him etc. etc etc ...... is a bad thing. Tell me how this is so much different than Northern folk 100 years ago that were snowed in from October to April??????
You nailed it with your first sentence. It hasn’t been all negative for lots of folks in a position like you or I. The negative impact was/is terrible for many, many others.

Imagine being in an early stage of building your life and nest egg, maybe with young ones at home, and your gainful employment isn’t something that can be done on a computer. Imagine you’re a salon owner, and you’re told you can’t have a customer in your establishment unless they’re elected royalty.

·
Hello, hello....is there anybody in there.....?
78,549 Posts
In the United States, and perhaps other countries, if an elderly person is alert, oriented, and not a danger to themselves or others (the same goes for those with mental health conditions) they can be taken home from nursing homes and mental health facilities as long as the living space is safe.
If they could be cared for at home they likely wouldn't be where they are to begin with.

I know a family that is doing this right now, it can be done.

·
Registered
5,498 Posts
...Modern day politicians have forgotten how they got elected.
Actually, they’ve just learned that getting elected is much easier than the way those old suckers did it.

Now, all they need to do is to pick the right party, and let CNN do the rest for them. Wolf Lemon will tell the masses BS things that have absolutely no meaning like “murders happen because of multi-mag weapons”, and “we’ll never be safe until all the high-velocity clipazines are used up”, and the brainless will repeat those “facts” with conviction.

Then, all you have to do is be the politician (with the right letter, of course) and declare how you’re going to ”clean up all the deadly high-velocity multi mag clipazines” and the zombies that Wolf Lemon mesmerized will vote for you.

Why waste time and energy trying to do good things?

1 - 20 of 108 Posts