Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Unregistered-1427815803, Feb 7, 2004.

1. Hi,
    My husband and I live in Maine and we are both in our 40's. We would like to move to a warmer climate. We are interested in homesteading and no clue where to begin looking. Can someone please help us.

2. Ruby

Ruby Well-Known Member Supporter

Try East Texas, the weather dosen't get too bad in winter, but the summers are hot and humid. But that makes growing good. Taxes are not too bad, depending on what county your in.

3. syringaweb

syringaweb Well-Known Member

What about an east coast state still, just further south?
    I'm partial to my state of Virginia. We still have winters, just not so severe. You would still have the joy of four seasons.
    How about VA, WV, NC, or MD?

Good luck with such a big decision.

4. Shrek

Shrek Singletree Moderator Staff Member

5. TXlightningbug

TXlightningbug Well-Known Member

There is a couple from Colorado looking to do the same. I believe Shrek's directing you to that thread. One other thing to consider: Allergies!
    Texas has a lot of allergens! I have a friend whose been to North Carolina and she said that the allergens are not there. I almost moved to NC the hour she said it with the way my eyes were watering! But I live in Dallas and it's right on the border of all the allergy-making pollen-spitters in the Northeast Texas area. I'm headed east as you'll see from the post I made at the other thread. Arkansas is beautiful too.
    Wherever you go, check for jobs, weather conditions, natural dangers (earthquakes, tornadoes, hurricanes, drought, flash floods, etc.), and the medical system for physical and mental health. Texas is not the greatest and has gone downhill fast since we had Bush as governor. The Dallas public hospital has announced a multi-million dollar shortfall in their budget two years after being granted a nearly 50% tax hike. And this after laying off huge amounts of employees. The area mental health and mental retardation system has gone bankrupt.
    Good luck with your quest. All states have their good points and their bad points. What points are the most important to you? Judi

6. Little Quacker in OR

Little Quacker in OR Well-Known Member

:) There are a number of good books that rate the different states as to taxes, weather(extremes in cold and hot and dangerous weather too), schools, property values, medical system, hospitals and lots of other stuff. I'd invest in some of them or head for the library and then start making lists of what you must have in location, what you will compromise on etc. for both of you. And whatever you do RESEARCH your prospective neighbors. That is one of the number one problems we see with people being unhappy with where they live. We spent three years on this before we retired and couldn't be happier with our choice. Good luck...LQ

7. I am not quite as old but my folks are older and despite lower cost of living we have decide to stay in Maine and buy a homestead farm together to avoid poisonous snakes, crime, and ethnicity. My folks visited South Carolina and were begged by minorities at every intersection and store.......NO THANK YOU!!!! My folks are poor people by out of state standards but we dont beg... we work harder!

8. thorngirl

thorngirl Well-Known Member

I was born and raised in Vermont and spent 2 years in Ny (Albany/Troy area) before moving to South Carolina 8 years ago and in the 2 years in NY I saw people left and right surround cars (mine included) begging for money every day,since I have moved to SC not even 1 time have I ever seen anyone beg for anything.I'm not saying it does'nt happen but where I live and in the surrounding towns I can say I've not seen it,most people I know do work hard for thier money too. If it's poisonous critters you want to avoid then by all means stay where you are.