Location?

Discussion in 'Beekeeping' started by Abouttime, May 6, 2006.

1. Abouttime

Abouttime Well-Known Member

I will be setting up my first hive next week and am having difficulty deciding on a location. I know all the "ideals" as to sun, wind and direction. I am most concerned with the "flow" of the bees leaving and entering the hive. How far away from the front of the hive is the flow heavy, where I need to be concerned about a clothesline or gardening or animals being in the path or do I?

2. Queen Bee

Queen Bee Well-Known Member Supporter

If you have little room just face the entrance away from a walk or clothesline. I personally, would not put a hive too close to a play area, dog lot or feed lot. The bees will visit: water troughs, salt blocks/minerals offered as free choice, feed stations and wash down areas. We even noticed ours honeybees collecting something from the cow manure in the pastures. We were told it was the minerals and salts..??????????????IF there is a swingset or tall play structure they may make a swarm on that item..

3. Abouttime

Thank you for the response. I have lots of room, but it seems all the "good" spaces are in line with some other animal or pathway. It's good information about the feed lot, as I have many species of livestock.

4. dcross

dcross Well-Known Member Supporter

The filthier the water, the more they like it:)

Mine only get into animal feed in very early spring before the trees start blooming, but once they find a water source they stick to it.

One of the rules of keeping bees near people is "Make sure they get water where YOU want them to."

I would say you want about ten or fifteen feet in front of the hive clear. If you can't find that, face the entrance right up to a wall or bush. The bees will fly above head height immediately that way. Or put some lattice in front of the hive.

5. Mike in Ohio

Mike in Ohio Well-Known Member

One thing you can do is put a hedge of some sort in front of the hives. We have some of our hives facing multiflora rose that is 7 foot high. The girls just fly up and over it. And before anyone comments on the multiflora rose, we have several acres of overgrown pasture that we are getting too bit by bit.

Mike

6. Abouttime

Thanks all-Bees were installed last night-hope the location is okay. I must have done something wrong, as the install was very smooth-not a sting!

7. KSALguy

KSALguy Lost in the Wiregrass Supporter

do bees use the rose?
    about getting rid of the over grown multifloral just get some goats and they will be gone in no time,