Local source for BT

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by DayBird, May 29, 2005.

1. DayBird

DayBird Big Bird

I guess I have been so busy with the birds, that I haven't paid much attention to the garden. I noticed this morning, coming back in after my rush outside in the thunderstorm to check on the turkeypoults, that my cabbages are lacey. I guess cabbage loopers have found my new garden. It's so bad, that my very big and very pretty Cardoon plant has holes in his leaves. Once the lightening stopped, I spent hours picking them off and dropping them into a jar to give the turkeys.

Being a holiday weekend and all of the garden centers and farm supply stores are closed, does anyone think that Wal-mart might have any Bacillus thuringensis? I've used it before with great success but I don't have any on hand right now. What else can I do and still not resort to synthetic chemicals. The petstore I manage sells an organic flea and tick shampoo for dogs that utilizes neem oil. Would that work and still be safe?

2. DayBird

DayBird Big Bird

Oh, I forgot to update this post. I found the trade name "Dipel" at Lowes. I applied it Sunday, in between rain showers. All of the caterpillars are gone. Either it worked or 4 days of rain has washed them all away.