local maps

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by pcdreams, Apr 30, 2005.

1. pcdreams

pcdreams Well-Known Member

I'm wondering where I might start looking for localized area maps.

For example: I have a topo map of Vermont that is broken down into 25 or so parts. This shows a lot of roads not shown on your typical road map. But I'm needing something even more granular. I'm looking for something that would show older town roads and such. Problem Is I have no idea where to start looking.

2. ozarksnick

ozarksnick Don't Tread On Me!

You might go ask at your local Chamber of Commerce. The Chamber here makes nice county maps, they show every single tiny county road. No topo stuff, ie-elevations, etc., but good simple maps. And they're free!

3. pcdreams

I just e-mailed them. Thanks for the advice :p

4. wy0mn

wy0mn Transplanted RedNeck

terraserver.com has aerial photographic maps, as well as the more mundane ones. It used to be free, & still is at some resolutions.
    These photos sometimes show old roadways quite well.
    Navigating this site is a blast.
    Sounds like your on a treasure hunt? I'd like to hit old drive-in theaters with a metal detector myself...
    Lex

5. pcdreams

terraserver is good. Wouldn't go in close enough though.

Actually I was trying to locate the property we're buying. So I guess it is kind of a tresure hunt. Have to find it before we go on vacation in august. I can't wait to get started planning. :D

6. Donovan K

Donovan K Well-Known Member

Try the US Geological Survey website www.usgs.gov

You should be able to order the map you want. I have used them many times in the past for highly detailed maps.

Good luck with your new place.

Donovan

7. Mike in Ohio

Mike in Ohio Well-Known Member

Check with your county map office. We get section maps for 50 cents a piece. We also bought arial maps from them. Our chamber of commerce publishes a plat book once every three years ($15 and a bargain at that).

Mike

8. Darren

Darren Still an :censored:

The county maps are probably the best. In West Virginia you can buy them at each county department of highways' headquarters. Each district office has the maps for each county within its area. Topo maps show you quite a bit, but the county maps are at a more useful scale plus they show the county route numbers which topo maps don't.