Local Cow/Calf Prices

Discussion in 'Cattle' started by Ken Scharabok, Apr 11, 2006.

1. Ken Scharabok

Ken Scharabok In Remembrance

Took 11 cow/calf pairs to the Spring Cow/Calf sale in Dickson, TN, held last Saturday. Eight went for over $1,000 (high was $1,280). Lowest was $900. These were run of the mill, mostly black, full mouthed to full mouthed showing some wear, cows I purchased last fall to run the winter on hay and corn stubble. I had to be out of town so didn't attend. However, I doubt the $1,280 topped the market that day.

Pricing may have reflected they had less than 350 cow/calf or bred cows consigned. Cattle prices are so high many are keeping even aging cows.

2. wardarden

wardarden Well-Known Member

Question: Was this sale mostly beef cattle? We are in Murfreesboro TN and thought about going but DH said it was probably mostly beef and he was looking for a dairy heifer.

Arden Ward
    Murfreesboro, TN

3. Ken Scharabok

Dickson is almost exclusively beef cattle. About the only dairy I have seen come through are culls or bottle calves, and then mostly bulls. If you want a Holstein heifer bottle calf call Dickson (615-446-9066) on a Monday or Wednesday afternoon and ask to speak to one of the owners. They do order buying based on your specifications. Bottle calves sell about 1PM on Tuesday and you would need to be prepared (including perhaps taking along a bottle of milk replacer) to pick it up fairly quickly afterwards. If a Holstein, chances are pretty good it received colostrum. I have brought home calves in the cab of my truck. Not a problem unless they are trying to suck on your ear.

If you want a dairy heifer ask around the Amish/Mennonite areas or ask County Extension Agents in your and nearby counties for the location of dairy farms. Not many in Middle TN. None in Humphreys County any more. Seems to be many more in Southern KY in the general area of Bowling Green and to the east though. Even here you are likely to find perdominately Holsteins when you might way say a Jersey.

4. dezeeuwgoats

dezeeuwgoats Well-Known Member

Hate to intrude on the thread - but what do they get for a day old, holstein bull calf? I've been quoted $180, and $140 from two different dairys here in Arizona. Thought I might head to the auction on Wednesday and see what the prices are there before I jump in..... I can get jersey bull calves for next to nothing!
    niki

5. Ken Scharabok

Really no precise answer to that question as prices will vary widely from location to location and even then with supply and demand. About 6-8 years ago a dairy couldn't even give away bull calves. Now they are bringing $100 and up locally.

IMHO a calf bought directly from a dairy is worth significantly more than an identical one bought at a livestock auction. You can see the surroundings in which it was born and confirm whether or not it got colustrum for at least one full day.

6. dezeeuwgoats

dezeeuwgoats Well-Known Member

How can you tell for sure that it got colostrum? I always wonder if I'm getting told the truth.....

niki

7. Ken Scharabok

Believe little of what is said at the livestock auction. On a dairy farmer it is pretty well his reputation at stake if he wants you for a repeat buyer.

8. pointer_hunter

pointer_hunter Well-Known Member

I went to the stock sale on Monday and the dairy calves were running 1.85-2.10 per pound. So a 100lb calf could run around 200 dollars.

9. NWMO

NWMO Well-Known Member

At a sale last week, old cow (8-10 years) with black calf at side would not bring 600 for the pair.....seperated the two and sold the 3 day old black calves for 220 to 250. Pretty pricey. Nice cow / calf pairs were bringing 1200 or so......black cows/calves were bringing 200 more or higher than anything else running through the ring.

10. savinggrace

savinggrace COO of manure management

I stopped into a neighbor's dairy farm today, and asked about baby bull calves. She said her husband has been bringing them up to an auction north of Milwaukee and prices are about $285. a head!