Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
9,852 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
You might find this article interesting. We had the opportunity to get some peanut butter. It comes in 500 lb barrels, four to a pallet. That was too heavy to lift down off the delivery truck so we built a stone loading dock at the entrance to our driveway.

http://sugarmtnfarm.com/2017/08/08/peanut-butter-arrival-at-new-loading-dock/#more-24074

Grain isn't evil, just expensive. I don't buy commercial feed but instead look for opportunities like this to supplement pasture. When doing that, bear in mind that some things in too high a portion can negatively effect meat and fat quality. For example with the peanut butter I keep it around 2%DMI with a max at 7%DMI. With spent barley I generally am at 2%DMI - the max I have found to be about 25%DMI although research says it can be up to 50%DMI. Spent corn based distiller's grain should be kept below 7%DMI or it results in soft bacon according to research.

%DMI means Percent of Dry Matter Intake which is a good way to measure diet. If you know the feeds and the %DMI for each you know the diet.

Cheers,

Walter

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
Love the dock... I have a railroad ties module in mind.... But big slabs of rock would last longer.... We currently receive 6-8 semis a season to unload... A dock would be great.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts