Loadhandlers?

Discussion in 'Shop Talk' started by Randy Rooster, Jul 16, 2005.

1. Randy Rooster

Randy Rooster Well-Known Member Supporter

I am starting a nursery and need to haul a lot of mulch in the back of my f -150 and unload it. Are the loadhandlers all they are cracked up to be?

2. Cosmic

Cosmic Well-Known Member

Everything I know about them points to it being a sort of bogus idea. Can work if you haul light stuff and load it sort of even over the bed.

Not how most pickup loads are done. Want to be forward of the axle and pile it up a lot to reach the weight limitations of the truck. Weigh out before you cube out.

For mulch it might work. Probably can load a full bed load a bit on the level depth level as seen on TV, cube out before you weigh out.

Going for the dump pickup kit or dump trailer has to be the better idea in most cases. Babes smiling while free cranking a stupid handle is not how the real World usually works. Knew one guy who had it but he never really hauled anything. Pure physics says max out a F-150 load you got to have some force to move that even in a parallel direction to the ground.

In many cases, duh you still have to shovel to distribute the pile. Might depend on what and how much you are hauling and where you really want to put it.

3. Ozarks_1

Ozarks_1 Well-Known Member

I agree ... for mulch it "might" work.
    BUT, since you're starting a nursery, you'll eventually end up hauling things heavier than mulch - like topsoil and rocks.

I considered a loadhandler for my truck ... and rejected it in favor of a dump bed unit. I've had no problems with the dump bed; couldn't be happier.

4. Beeman

Beeman Well-Known Member

You might be able to fool the rear springs to hold up a heavier load then they are designed for. Unfortuantely you have the rest of the truck to deal with. You have light duty tires, brakes and frame that weren't made to carry that weight. A better idea is to use a trailer designed for the weight that has it's own brakes.

5. kmaproperties

kmaproperties Well-Known Member

look into a dump trailer. they are very versitile, and can carry alot more than your 150.

6. Randy Rooster

Randy Rooster Well-Known Member Supporter

I never thought of a dump trailer- how much do they sell for and how much can they carry?