Loaded question....

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Bubbas Boys, Sep 12, 2017.

1. Bubbas Boys

Bubbas Boys Well-Known Member

If you had a 26x40 building, concrete floor, spray foamed, water and power ran to it, with 6x10 nice pens in it( can make them bigger), what animal would you raise to make money on your farm. I know it depends on your level of experience but..... just wanting ideas how to make a buck or 2 on animals if you had a decent building to do something with..... thanks!!

2. Cabin Fever

Cabin Fever Life NRA Member since 1976 Supporter

3. rambler

rambler Well-Known Member Supporter

You can always learn, and gain experience.

What you need to go after is your local market. Some places might be buying shrimp, some might be buying goat meat, some might be buying organic milk, some places might be looking to buy heritage pork. Or 50 other small nitche markets, depending on your local customer base.

Find the specialty market you have available to you, jump on the fade, hope that fad sticks around your location long enough to cash in by the time you get up to production.

This is all about marketing, not about what you think you should grow and hope sells once you get it market weight. :)

Paul

4. Fishindude

Fishindude Well-Known Member Supporter

Dog boarding.
    Small scale livestock operations are rarely money makers, most just provide some free eats after all expenses are settled.

Alice In TX/MO likes this.
  5. big rockpile

big rockpile If I need a Shelter

Shrimp would be good.

One thing to take into consideration if your raising in this building it isn't what most want now days. They want stuff running on Grass. Just something to think about and what you want to do.

big rockpile

rambler likes this.
  6. Bearfootfarm

Bearfootfarm Hello, hello....is there anybody in there.....? Supporter

Rabbits could do well in that sort of building if you have both meat and pet breeds.

7. haypoint

haypoint Well-Known Member Supporter

By the very nature of farming, there is no sure money making venture. Any profitable product draws eager farmers to jump on board, thus creating a surplus, driving the price below cost of production.
    A good example would be pumpkins. For a few years, farmers near a busy highway, were able to turn a profit by selling pumpkins to the city folk. Enough people were attracted to it to drive down prices and many pumpkins will sell for a few bucks a truck load as deer feed.

Your only chance at profitable farming is to figure out what advantage you have over most others. In my region, the cool summers, ample rain and heavy clay soils produce lush pastures and fine stemmed grass hay. Land prices are very low. So, renting fields for summer cattle pasture or bailing hay are more profitable than in areas with less moisture and costly land.

Another way to increase chances for profit is to find something labor intensive and don't count the hours you put in.

You could fill the building with dog kennels and operate a puppy mill. Those are profitable, if you can keep records, vaccinate and maintain bio-security.

8. AmericanStand

AmericanStand Well-Known Member

It's never occurred to me to Pick a business to fit the building rather than the other way around.

ShannonR likes this.
  9. geo in mi

geo in mi Well-Known Member Supporter

If you are in an area of medium to heavy working to middle class population, go with a dance studio. Compared to a daycare center, there are very few rules. One lady has been doing that for years, hires WMU dance students, "shares" the profits. She's building a bigger studio and parking, on the next door property she just bought.

Everybody is right; there's not a whole lot of money --if any--to raising and selling commodity animals in a commodity market, on a small time basis. You will need to find a Hula Hoop, or a Davy Crockett, or a spinner craze in the animal world--then know when to jump off the merry go round. In the meantime, you could loose your shirt (or what's under it.....) The Amish in Central Indiana just went through the craze of building special duck barns to raise fertilized duck eggs for the Chinese delicacy market. Lots of empty buildings there now.....

I would suggest a new building to create a grain handling operation to thresh and store bread making flours,,,, or a butchering facility/home food preservation area styled and purposed to homesteading. A center, perhaps for processing other homesteaders' products on a share basis or rental basis. Apple cider mill? Home canning center? Wood fired bread baking hearth? Grain grinding...maybe gluten-free? Alfalfa pelleting, vegetable oil processing(non-GMO). Barley and hops processing.

And away I go, strumming my guitar with Kenney Rogers,, "'Ya gotta know when to hold up, know when to fold up........"

Good luck. :)

geo

cfuhrer, ShannonR and Alice In TX/MO like this.
  10. AmericanStand

AmericanStand Well-Known Member

Well it does sound about right for that train set I always wanted.

11. Jolly

Jolly Well-Known Member

What was the buildings previous use?

12. bobp

bobp Well-Known Member

A few come to mind... Mushrooms, pet store type tropical fish, or tilapia, niche type dogs, I'll second others on do Local research.

ShannonR likes this.
  13. Alice In TX/MO

Alice In TX/MO More dharma, less drama. Supporter

Mice for sale to reptile stores.

14. geo in mi

Hey, that's a real possibility. My son is a biology teacher--he needs mice for his snakes..(yes in the classroom). Twice a year he goes to the snake convention at a local fairgrounds to get mice and rats for dissections and mazes and for snake food..... He finally has started going to the mouse and rat ranch to buy direct.......don't know why he always has to go by himself.

geo

15. ShannonR

ShannonR hillbilly farmgirl

I second the mushroom idea. Done right, this could prove to be worthwhile. Lots of expensive medicinal species

16. Cabin Fever

I'll tell you what biology teachers need more than mice. It's frogs. Every HS biology student gets a frog to dissect. That's a lot of frogs. And, any frogs you don't sell to high schools, you can sell to Cajun restaurants.

17. ShannonR

I dissected a cow eyeball in school, and some roadkill critter...don't remember what it was right now though! I remember it being a rather healthy size, it was spread across a table outside for all of us to inspect and dissect. Calf, maybe???

Cabin Fever likes this.
  18. Cabin Fever

Probably, a fetal pig. :)

ShannonR likes this.
  19. ShannonR

I don't think it was a pig? I keep thinking it was an oddball sort of creature, like a llama maybe

20. geo in mi

Lulu went missing........always wondered what happened to her? :)

geo

ShannonR likes this.