load weight for a 1990 ford 250??

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Jim East Tn, Jan 1, 2005.

1. Jim East Tn

Jim East Tn Well-Known Member

Need to get some crushed rock--how much weight will she handle?
    Thx, Jim

2. dmp437

dmp437 Member

A lot of factors (options) go into your weight capacity but as a rule of thumb if your F250 has full floater axles, 2 wheel drive, gas motor, and load range E tires it should handle 2,000 pounds. Adding stuff like the diesel motor or 4 wheel drive subtracts about 400 pounds each from the payload. Make sure the tires are fully aired up to sidewall pressure before loading up.

3. Beeman

Beeman Well-Known Member

As someone said about a ton, which in crushed rock is usually not much. I've hauled gravel in my 1/2 ton and it's usually not worth the effort as you can't haul enough to accomplish much. The abuse of your truck is also a factor and the quality and load rating of your tires is very important. The best method I've seen some use is a dump trailer. Your truck can pull a couple of tons an a trailer and will make the trip worthwile. Depending on how far you are from the quarry it might pay to just pay the haul bill and have someone with a dump truck haul it. I've had a dump truck haul for me for $25 per load which works out better with less hassle.

4. big rockpile

big rockpile If I need a Shelter

Well I know your not crazy as I am.But I had a 3/4 Ton Ford with a Tag Axle,6,000 Plates on it.I was hauling Pulp Wood with it.I could haul two cord.Took it in to the scales one day to see how much I had on :eek: Just a shade less than 13,000.

Just a tad over!!! :haha:

big rockpile

5. Jim East Tn

Jim East Tn Well-Known Member

Maybe not, but I had an 4-cylinder '88 Dakota that often only seemed to drive on its back wheels with all the slab wood I'd haul to my house!