Llamas

Discussion in 'Sheep' started by GrannyG, Jan 19, 2007.

1. GrannyG

GrannyG Well-Known Member

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Okay, guys, need your help ! What do you feed llamas and what is the best way to try to gentle them down? Our friend, Bob, bought sheep, all the lady had, and in the deal he got a llama. DH has always wanted one (why?) and saw him downtown. Bob said the llama had protected the sheep, but he had dogs and the dogs were chasing it all over, and his horses were scared to death of it....so....you guessed it. Got a phone call this morning, and 30 minutes later, we have a llama. It is a castrated male, beautiful animal, white with black patches on each side of it's face and a black mustache. Of course, my goats are scared and run area to area and the roosters keep crowing. He told us it likes men, but not women. LOL. I went out and fed awhile ago, and he would walk slowly around me, stare me down, but not try to come to me. He is going all over sniffing and looking. I did not realize they were so tall. I will give him a great home, just think it will take coaxing and love, and Obama and I will get along fine. Thanks for any advice.

2. chicamarun

chicamarun Well-Known Member

I feed mine the same feed as the sheep if I feed grain - otherwise they are out on pasture along with my sheep. They need the mineral too.

A big thing to remember - they sweat from underneath - so when it's hot spray their bellies and they love it.

In order to guard the sheep - let it bond with the sheep - I leave mine alone, I don't pet them - but I'll give shots if needed. Mine just look cool out in the field (I have 2 with my sheep - 1 with the males and 1 with the females)

3. lisarichards

lisarichards Well-Known Member

The best way to get them used to your critters is to pen it in closely with a few of them until they realize that he's not scary. It only took my sheep about a day, and there were two llama sisters to get used to.

Feeding is easy -- they graze and browse exactly like my sheep, and take the same minerals as well.

4. Somerhill

Somerhill Well-Known Member

Check around to see if you have menigeal (argh - cannot spell it!) worm in your part of the country. In Ohio, llamas have to be wormed monthly or it will kill them. Its a parasite that is common in whitetailed deer, and they spread it into your pastures.
    It will help him keep cool if you have his barrel sheared in the summer. My friend who raises them keeps kiddie wading pools in the paddocks for them to play in.
    Have fun with him!
    Lisa at Somerhill
    www.somerhillfarm.com

5. JiminMorris

JiminMorris Well-Known Member

Congratulations on your new llama! LLamas are a riot. They have definite "tendancies". Most are very sweet once they know you are not a threat. Ours eat everything! Last night they stole the french fries I left on a pile a hay. Basically hay and some grain can sustain their diet. Our male prefers men and specifically prefers my husband. He is very friendly when strangers come to the fence but given the opportunity he will run and "bump" me with his neck when my husband isn't looking. When we first brought him home, he and our 2 minature horses escaped the pasture and went for a run to the neighbors. I made the mistake of physically trying to force him back. His ears went back and almost 3 years later he always lets me know my place. Yes he does spit on occasion but that seems like more of an obligation he feels than a personal attack. My 3 female llamas are truly sweet. 2 of them came from other farms so they are not totally tame but they give kisses and follow us around. They are so curious so yours will probably find his way with your other animals. I am glad to see there are other llama people on this board. I hope you enjoy him.

6. llamaqueen

llamaqueen Well-Known Member

How is your new llama adjusting? Have you tried hand feeding him any grain? That is the easiest way to start getting close to them (if they will eat from your hand that is) If he won't get that close, just try spending time in the same pen as him and talking to him (and of course leave a little bit of a grain treat for him). Like any animal in a new surrounding, he will need time to adjust. Guard llamas bond with their herd so being moved to a new location with his herd and then moved to another location without his herd is very stressful (and confusing). In order to get him used to your animals (and them to him), just let them spend time in separate areas where they can see each other. Since he has been with sheep already, it shouldn't take him too long to adjust to your animals. It may take longer for them to adjust to him though!
    Like was previously mentioned, llamas are very susceptible (sp?) to heat stress. Before the weather starts to get hot, you should shear him (do a barrel cut that takes off the wool in the mid section & under the belly if he has any). Make sure there is plenty of shade & water for him. A kiddie pool is a great idea and hosing down their bellies and legs only help him a lot too! Don't put water all over him though, as this will trap the heat.
    Another thing I would do is find a vet in your area that will treat llamas or is at least willing to learn. That way if something were to ever go wrong, you would know who to call instead of doing a panicked search.
    Llamas are "stoic" animals and will not show when they are sick until it is too late. So, you should spend time learning his personality (just like any other animal) so you can spot a change in his behavior early on.
    If you have any questions, feel free to ask!
    Llamas are a lot of fun to have around and are one of my favorite animals!