Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
805 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Some people put Llamas in a pasture, especially with sheep, as guard animals to protect against predators and roaming dogs. Any information or experience as to how that works out? I don't have sheep or cows either at the present time so this question so this question is for information only.

COWS

·
Just living Life
8,280 Posts
I would not recommend on putting an intact male Llama in with ewes.
It never ends well for the ewes.
Will also have to be-careful of some geldings... same issue. Been there done that.... wasn't a good idea.

A larger Llama can protect against a lone dog, foxes and so on. But they will be eaten by Cougar, Bear, packs of coyotes...... and packs of domestic dogs can do a lot of damage.

They are still prey animals.

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
Previous owner here had a guard llama. She apparently never had to actually fight anything but between the fence (five strand electric), and an angry llama on the other side, he never lost a lamb to predators. When people would walk their dogs past the front pasture she would send the sheep to the far corner and stalk along the fence and glare at the dog until it went away.

·
Premium Member
1,618 Posts
Around our place, there are quite a few Llamas put out with cows. Have sometimes seen one pastured with donkeys. There's a lot of Llamas around, and in fact our animal control just had one they auctioned off for 75 dollars I believe.

I have wondered if they would do well around horses. Wouldn't mind picking up a gelded male and a female pair, I love Llamas, but also am thinking about Alpacas, though they are definitely not able to be around the horses is my guess.

·
Registered
5,321 Posts
I have a gelded Llama I took in as a rescue......a friend had him with her sheep, the sheep were sold when she moved and the llama went with them...the new owner said the llama and his horses did not get along and he was going to put him down...I told him I would take him, and I have had him for about three or four years now....He is afraid of everything....I was really surprised when one of the local patrolmen told me that he had pulled up outside along my fence, which is along a farm to market road, to moniter traffic in the wee hours of the morning....said he about jumped out of his skin when the llama chased a cat up to the fence, then the cat screeched across his patrol car, and took off....so maybe he is good for something.

·
Premium Member
1,618 Posts
I have a gelded Llama I took in as a rescue......a friend had him with her sheep, the sheep were sold when she moved and the llama went with them...the new owner said the llama and his horses did not get along and he was going to put him down...I told him I would take him, and I have had him for about three or four years now....He is afraid of everything....I was really surprised when one of the local patrolmen told me that he had pulled up outside along my fence, which is along a farm to market road, to moniter traffic in the wee hours of the morning....said he about jumped out of his skin when the llama chased a cat up to the fence, then the cat screeched across his patrol car, and took off....so maybe he is good for something.
Ha, I had you located when you said "farm to market road" :), which I happen to live on one as well. Gotta be a Texan:)

What a great story about the llama and the cat and the cop! How funny:)

·
Registered
3,669 Posts
Total thread drift here,
Why is it in Texas, we have, or I should say HAD, Farm to Market roads, Ranch to Market roads, and so on, and everybody else only has highways?

Just one of those things that makes ya go Hmmmm...:huh:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts