Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7,309 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 7 year old female llama named Oreo. I have had her since she was a baby. She has always been in with the goats & I have never had a problem with her.

Recently she has started chasing them & will knock them down & lay on them as if she were breeding. Why on earth is she doing this? Llamas are induced ovulators so they aren't in heat like most animals. I have her stalled now because I can not leave her in there for fear she will hurt the does. One has a splint on her leg & can't run away like the others.

·
Farm lovin wife
3,236 Posts
It's funny, we just bought a goat from somebody the other day that had a llama kill one of their goats by laying on it and suffocating it.
Hearing their story and yours, I'm beginning to worry about our llama that he may do that. We'll have to keep a close eye on.

·
Registered
688 Posts
My mom had to get rid of her male llama because she had him in the same pasture with fainting goats. He would nip them in the back and they would faint. He would them jump on them and have his way with them. Actually torn up the behind of one of the females...

I would get him out of the same pasture until your goats are out of heat. He didn't start until one of them went into heat. He tore up the billy so bad he had to be taken to the vet.

·
Registered
4,107 Posts
MWG, Wendy's llama is a female...

Wendy, I have no idea why she's doing this. I'd be contacting a few llama farms to see if they might have any ideas for you. In the meantime, I'd move her out if at all possible before she hurts someone.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts