Living

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by to live free, May 12, 2005.

1. to live free

to live free Well-Known Member

I had posted a thread sometime ago that had good and bad responses. Took those bad response and worked out a lot of the problems that were brought up.

Like i said before Colonial living with a twist, is just what i mean. the community will be colonial looking but thats it. we will practice no till farming organically, which has high resale in maine.

I do not want money, I want people. Like I said before you need not come with a load of money, but you will need some to but stuff for your house.

Houses will be rented, with the ability to leave when one chooses.

If you are selfish and want acreage galore then do not reply but if you want to live and not worry about getting fired after 20 years, want to eat organic food, know that your children are safe at a home school, then join.

This will not be a we are all doing the same things, kinda place I need bakers,butchers, blacksmiths.

This will be fun and if you like history then this is the place.

if you have quetions feel free to ask.

2. pekin84

pekin84 Member

This sounds like the movie we just rented. " The Village." : )

It sounds idyllic. Good luck!

3. rambler

rambler Well-Known Member Supporter

Yes, you have the drive to make some projects in your life (whether this one, or others) work out for you. I have enjoyed your efforts with this, and your drive to continue working with it. You take critisizm for what it is, not personal attacks or negativism - but an effort to improve things. That will serve you very well in life, & I admire that.

As a farmer here in Minnesota, I won't apply, but I wish you well with it, & I hope you keep us updated/ keep asking questions with this.

For newbies, this issue was discussed quite a bit in mid winter perhaps? Might want to search for old posts from 'to live free' for a background if this topic intrests you.

--->Paul

4. mpillow

mpillow Well-Known Member Supporter

Where did you find land?

You dont have to be specific....Northern, Eastern, Central, Western, bet it wasnt Southern! Maine will do.

5. to live free

i have a new name, since the manager of this hasn't ssent me my password for two weeks.

The land is in dover-foxcroft me.

6. mpillow

Nice location!

Its fiddlehead time....have you picked any yet? Look in semi wet areas (flood prone) among sugar maple trees usually.

Beware the bugs will be in full force very soon....on sunny days we already have blackflies in the Watervile area.

7. to live free

mpillow unfortunatly i am not in maine yet i still stationed in naples italy.

I break ground in june/july of 2006.

We'll be using no till and crop rotation for all crops. We'll be organic, and self providing once things get of the ground.

"We'll" is in reference to another family in chicago, and a cousin of mine.

DID YOU ALL KNOW THAT I CAN GET ORGANIC MAINE MADE MILK IN NAPLES ITALY YESSSSSSSSSSSSS.

8. Cabin Fever

Cabin Fever Life NRA Member since 1976 Supporter

Just a suggestion, one way to get people stay at your commune is to dress up like a monster and patrol the outer boundary of the commune every night.

9. mpillow

Better yet put out a nudist colony sign....people will just come to steal a look...instead of your stuff!

Being naked in Maine requires lots of bug spray!

Sorry to hear that you are still so far away, but I hear Italy is lovely!

Be sure to get a list of things you'd like to plant together....like apple trees, asparagus, rhubarb, grapes (requires some skill but doable), you will likely have blueberries and raspberries on your land possibly black berries. Protecting the young trees from deer is important.

No till? Snow loads and Spring drain off will compact the soil on even raised beds...You'll at least want two good pitchforks!

You guys have a lot of time to prepare and plan! I'd recommend Scott and Helen Nearing's books...as well as the Robinson's Have More Plan....articles are in the archives online at Mother Earth News.

If you have any ??'s feel free to ask....I might have an answer!

10. to live free

Cabin fever maybe you should get out more often

MPillow. I have a list of plants and most will be coming from FEDCO in Waterville. are you MOFGA certified? Also what location of Maine are you in? what do you raise?

Runnin naked sounds good won't need to do laundry =)

11. to live free

What is the big deal with working for a common goal.

Everyone wants self reliance, organic food, freedom from a grid, a better life, do they not?

This is not some "village".

We would have hydro electric, we will reuse greywater, grow 20 acres of no-till MOFGA Certified organic food. sell to a coop, hunt make wood furniture, hard cider, what ever comes to mind.

what part of not driving to work sound good?

What part of not worrying about food on the table?

we'll have health insurance Maine just pass a the Dirigo health bill ensuring medical for all low income and farmers.

What good does public schools offer, kids shooting each other, gangs.

kids get a better education, safer education, and better social skills in home schooling then in any other place.

why is it that some indivduals need 5 or more acres to be happily pacified, living by them selves, are they hiding somthing, affraid of somthing?

I'll get off of my soap box now :soap:

12. Snowdancer

Snowdancer Well-Known Member

to live free, honestly you confuse me. :confused:
    I am not trying to be disrespectful but you talk about why do people want 5+ acres but on another post in another forum here, you ass the question 'do you dislike people in general'. That right there should tell you, if folks don't like people, they don't like to be crowded in or be living near others.

I think it's a great idea for those that want the fresh air, community & shared good concept but I think you're running into some confusion by saying one thing about how good it will be at your community where admittedly folks will be on less than 5 acres each but yet asking about a general dislike of people. Do you see what I mean?

Also, and this is just my opinion, you seem to get aggravated when others don't embrace your concepts. It comes across in your post and I'm just surfing and not someone who is seriously seeking this type of lifestyle.
    Here's some examples:
    sounds accusatory and meant to infer if you want space you're hiding something.

Big assumption. not everyone wants freedom from the grid or organic foods. Many here do but you are basically speaking for Everyone-not a good thing. Plus self reliance to most of us is owning our own place-not renting someone elses dream. Again, that could be why most want 5acres!

And my last point is you are using the Maine health care system (entitlement program) as a selling point!
    Many of us don't want more entanglements with government sponsored programs be it social services, welfare or health care. Saying everyone would be given health care when it's a state run program really isn't a draw for those of us who provide for our own.
    What happens when the state decides this program is too expensive and cuts it? Don't say it can't happen; it's been on the news here in TN-tenncare(our state health care system) has just dropped the largest percentage of the recipients with just a few days notice in many cases,due to budgetary issues.

I'm not trying to rain on your parade, but you ask why folks may be hesitant and suspicious-these are some of the things that jumped out at me and I'm not even researching your proposal as something I could consider due to location.

13. to live free

no i'm not accusing anyone or do i get angry about what others say. i'm asking in a poll is it people don't like people or what is it, i'm trying to get a better understanding as to why some would want to be totally isolated. i too once liked being isolated but relized that just cause i've been burned before and being burned now, but i got tired of blaming everyone when it was only one or two people.

as for the Maine health care. it is not a selling point. in previous posts people asked about insurance. it was an ansewer, all be it, maybe not the best one but something for the mean time.

as for five acres i see alot of people owning large plots of land. some use it some do not, maybe because i grew up with the idea instilled to me that "use and have only what you need"

like do you really need that plasma screen,new car, 80 acres when you use 1.
    is it all a wealth thing, the more land, the more cows,goats,corn that one has make them rich.

I want to know if it is not, to live of the grid,to have organic food, to be self reliable then what is the driving force for so many of the people, in this site
    to be here?

My poll is only question not an accusation

I thought the definition to self relience was self explanitory to me. grow your own food, work at home, make what ever you want to make, maybe i read the wrong dictionary =)

I don't know about you but i find the company of others as well as their ideas comforting, it tells me that there is a few people left in this country that has not been completely brainwashed, into accepting everything. a group of people with the same common goal not a gaggle of individuals saying me me me. is more productive for the human race and our county. if you think like me me me, then to what purpose is your life?

i don't understand why would you not want to help out our children and childrens children, by showing them that there is a better way to live and to live your fellow man.

i will not put a disclosure at the end of every one of my statments saying, i , you, he, she, is in no way directed at anyone or anygroup, babyboomers have added enough diclosures to our lives.

14. BCR

BCR Well-Known Member

To live free---if you recall, my comment before was that I have all that you mention without the entanglement of a group's decision-making (been there, done that and won't re-visit). The bigger question is why you would want to throw your lot in with a group of people, I think.

I work at home, have plenty of acres I use as a buffer between neighbors when I am not actually harvesting and grow/make all the food I want. Why would I want to submit to a bunch of people's ideas of life, when mine are working fine?And I have strong neighborhood ties where we help one another out and use our varied skills to assist in solving problems. You can build community wherever you are, and you don't have to pretend you are living in another time.

15. to live free

because people like you have knowledge, ideas, jokes, stories to share. why take them to the grave share them. if we could show that we all could live with honor, trust, self reliance, wouldn't you like to help others to help you?

I know there is other people that would love to live in an old fashioned american community knowing that they all have somthing in common, they do not need to have the same beliefs but have the respect for others, most town, cities, states, have lost that ability. They lost it when they started having special months for anyone and anything, now all are subjected to these views and are forced to accept them, for if you say anything out against them, your a sexist,racist, and what ever else they decide to say. one individual is incapable of standing up to it, it needs to be a group. a group that can say it like the AMANA up in new york or the Oniedas, all groups of people (bound by religion) that very successful in their communites but because of the strict laws the had to change what the orginally set out to do.

16. BCR

BCR Well-Known Member

See, I think we agree that community can be a boon. I just don't want my financial future (the home I build, the money I earn, etc.) tied to a group. I have neighbors who I share jokes with and laugh and visit and eat dinner with, etc. And we each own our own property separately. That's a method that already works on a majority of the planet. Plus I get to dress, design and generally live the way I want with very few parameters, those being, the law of the land I live in.

I think it is easier and cheaper to be a good neighbor right now where you are, than to re-locate and live in what is basically a gated community. You get the good side of community without the problems of dealing with the group.

Group living can be interesting, but it isn't for everyone. You will have to have a complete business plan and it will take quite a while before you are ready to accept new members beyond your founders. So hang in there and practice being a good neighbor now. You might learn a few things. Good luck to you as you plan.

17. Cabin Fever

Cabin Fever Life NRA Member since 1976 Supporter

Okay, okay, you talked me into it! But I don't want to be the local butcher, baker, blacksmith, organic farmer, hydroelectric power engineer, or anything like that.

I wanna run the town's saloon...okay?

18. to live free

thanks for the hope.

i've been working on a plan now for a year and a half don't intend to cover everything just as much as possible.

no the profits would differ from each, like if you did not want to farm just wanted to make furniture or bake, you keep what you earn minus what ever the state and federal taxes are for the year and a Part of the $400 a month land payment i have.
    the flour that you'd get would be grown on site pay the farmer a fee this type working out. but in a group like this we have not to worry about loss of supply or loss of a consumer.
    does this kinda make sense.

19. Snowdancer

Snowdancer Well-Known Member

You said folks would rent the houses. Is that what you meant by a part of the $400 land payment or would the rent be another expense separate from their share of the land payment?

20. to live free

the rent would be apart of the 400 amonth not seperate.
    and the rent part is for legal uses only.

Yes the local inn will be yours, fresh hard cider, beers meads, all made on site and organic. we can sell the extras keep what we need till the next season batch.

basically like i've said before in my orginal post come with what money you can for a cookstove and what ever esle the timbers will come from the land if there is not enough we go to the local saw mill

i planned out a two 24x32 colonial for 10k i'm going with a cape instead for building it quicker and economically

it is hard to type all of my ideas down in this format.