Living without telephone??

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Nick53, Aug 11, 2005.

1. Nick53

Nick53 Well-Known Member

Hey everyone, I just purchased a house in my small home town and am considering living totally without a telephone. I am moving from my parents house and have never had phone service in my name. I place very very few telephone calls. Other than the period of time when I was in the buying process for my house I maybe placed a dozen phone calls since the beginning of the year. My new place is less than a half mile from my parents place and they have no problem with me using the phone on the limited basis I would need. I would of course pay them for any charges that result from my useage. So my question is has anybody lived without the telephone or have any other issues that I may have missed?? Thanks much in advance for any and all replies.

Nick

2. Gayle in KY

Gayle in KY Gadabout

I lived without a phone for two years. I drove the 5 miles to town to make all my calls. My sole worry was that one of the kids, or I, would get sick and I wouldn't be able to call an ambulance.

3. NYhomesteadr

NYhomesteadr Active Member

You can always buy a prepaid cell phone to use in case of an emergency.

4. motivated

motivated Well-Known Member

You can always buy a prepaid cell phone-Tracfone is what I have and get a 1 year card. Very inexpensive, and can be used as a business writeoff. About $8-10 dollars a month.
    Good for peace of mind while in your car too. I gave up the expensive plans with uncertain amounts years ago. This is a great phone for those who do not have one glued to thier ears!

5. lonewolf

lonewolf Well-Known Member

In the state of Liberty and Freedom I create.
    When I went overseas for a time, I went a year without a phone of my own. If I needed to call the US I had to find a pay phone. But it can be done fairly easily if you just try to stay smart and use your brain.

For emergencies, as you are only a half mile from your parents' home, you might try finding a pair of old CB radios for vehicles and set it up to run off an inverter in your parents' home and one in yours.

After awhile though you may find that there is a soothing comfort of not having a phone.

6. almostthere

almostthere Well-Known Member

Is it a money thing or you just don't like phones? My uncle has only had a phone in the last 10 years I guess. He said, he just didnt like them. He had a neighbor who was his emergency phone line. He lives in a town with a pop. of less than 650, and always has. Those 'emergencies" don't come as often as you'd think. He raised 4 kids without a phone and now has grandkids.

OTOH, I live in a small town, less than 3000. I'd go nuts without my phone, dealing with getting kids stuff ready for school and keeping tabs on relatives in the next town. And dont forget my internet. :D I would go without, if I have to, I guess. :D

7. Mastiff

Mastiff Well-Known Member

I went without a phone for 3 years back in the late 70's...
    It was some 9 miles to the closest pay phone...
    It was nice and quiet and we got a lot of surprise visitors.
    Having carried a pager for several years it was a nice break at the time...

8. Orville

Orville Well-Known Member

Give me a call....we'll talk about it.

9. FrankTheTank

FrankTheTank Well-Known Member

Find yourself an older analog cell phone with a battery that works. That will still be able to dial out 911 (unless thats changed too!)

10. Oilpatch197

Oilpatch197 Well-Known Member

I belive the FCC has gave the go ahead to start dismantling the analog cell network.

I don't have a phone, my parents across the drive has one, thought about a satailite phone.

11. MaryNY

MaryNY Well-Known Member

I wouldn't have a phone now except for the fact that my mother is VERY elderly and living on her own. She needs to be able to call for help, etc.

However, I have lived without one for years and years in the past, and intend to in the future, too. I will have a TracFone for emergencies and business, and that will be that.

As for the interent, I will have cable or something else they may come up with by then. Cable would only cost me the same as I'm paying for phone and internet right now . . . actually I think it would be a few dollars less at current rates.

By the way, you don't really need to sign up for long distance, if you decide you want some type of phone service. Just don't pick a carrier and be sure to "freeze" your long distance choices so that some long distance carrier doesn't "spam" you into their system. All you really need is a long distance calling card - which you can get at WalMart and other such places. I find this convenient when I have to make my personal travel plans from work (some places are only open during working hours!) and the few other long distance calls I might have to make during the year. I had a $20 long distance card and it lasted me for more than two years!

Oh, and also if you should decide to get a phone in, remember that it has an "off" button for the ringer . . . I think the TracFone does too . . . so you can turn it off and not have to answer "wrong numbers" and "telemarketers" while you are trying to do something else (like sleep, maybe!!) Good luck!

MaryNY

12. patarini

patarini Well-Known Member

Go to a pawn shop get a old cell phone and charger, can be used to call 911 if needed -- then enjoy the peace of mind of no telemarketers!

13. mistletoad

mistletoad Well-Known Member Supporter

We went for several years without a phone but there was always a payphone within walking distance (we were without a car for a few years too). I don't make phone calls, I hate phones, but I totally rethought the phone thing when our youngest broke his arm at school - they got hold of us, but it made me realise how awful it would be if we couldn't be reached. We got prepaid cell phones and only give the number to immediate family and the schools.

14. Ramblin Wreck

Ramblin Wreck Well-Known Member Supporter

I went totally cellular four years ago and have had no regrets. The only calls I got on the land lines were solicitations, usually just at dinner time. If you have cell phone coverage in your area, it might be a good solution for you too. If you need connectivity for the internet, you'd have to explore other options for that. Good luck.

15. Judy in IN

Judy in IN Well-Known Member Supporter

I hate to tell you guys this, but the telemarketers are homing in on cell phones now. I was so incensed when I got the first one. I'm PAYING for the call! I signed up for the "no call" list, but I got another one yesterday.

This makes me instantly hot when a huckster tries to shove something on me ON MY DIME! Obviously, they don't get far..... :grit:

16. sisterpine

sisterpine Goshen Farm Supporter

our only phone is an older "analog only" cell phone. our phone company cellular one/western wireless has told us that the fcc has given approval for the phone companies to STOP upgrading and maintaining their analog system as of 2006. Analog will still be working after that time but eventually the system will self destruct and that will be that! till then , my phone cost me 5 bucks on ebay, works great and since i only turn it on once a day to check for messages and return calls - i never have heard a phone ring in my house for the past five years!

17. HermitJohn

HermitJohn Well-Known Member

As the great "developement" continues of NW Arkansas, I am looking at more remote land with the idea of eventually moving. One place I am interested in has electric in (somebody must have paid a bundle), but no phone lines within site.

I'd actually almost prefer it the other way round, phone but no electric. I might or might not be able to get cellular service. However if I want internet, it would mean sattelite I think. Cellular would tend to break my addiction to internet as it wouldnt be economical beyond grabbing email and paying bills. If not for internet, I could care less about having a phone. It is handy once in blue moon for other things, but I mostly only have it because of the internet.

18. labrat

labrat Well-Known Member

I'd have to agree with most what is said on this subject. In case of emergency, you would be better off with a way of contacting the authorities. I don't know how close you are to your Mom, but since you have just moved out of your parents’ home, I can guess she is going to want to hear from you on a daily basis for some time.

As far as living without a phone, I have a cellular phone and would prefer to do without it. There are times, however, that I have found it to be a lifesaver. I am still in the process of making our homestead livable, so we are still in the city. The homestead is in an area without service and Cingular says it is in the process of putting more towers in the area, three more in the next year, thus I won’t have to drive ten miles to get a signal.

19. Jack in VA

Jack in VA Well-Known Member

If I knew a better way to get on the Internet, I'd get rid of mine.

20. Jan Doling

Jan Doling Well-Known Member

I have the prepaid Tracfone...but only use it for calls out as that is the only time I remember to turn it on. I live so far out that it does not work at my house...i have to drive several miles before it is usable.