living with the wild things

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by Jennifer Brewer, Jun 28, 2006.

1. Jennifer Brewer

Jennifer Brewer Jennifer

I knew I had a mole in my front yard, because he keeps running back and forth in front of the house in my flower beds. which is annoying- but at least he isn't squiggling back and around the grass.
    Any way. I had been trying to think of a way to get rid of them (not poison, just run them off), but yesterday as i was reaching for the garden hose, I SAW HIM! I scared him and he scurried down in his hole. My first thought was that he was kind of ...cute. Then I thought, "eh moles eats grubs right? He can stay." He can't do too much damage, right? Especialy with cats that catch baby moles every spring.

Am I off my rocker?

2. uncle Will in In.

uncle Will in In. Well-Known Member Supporter

What color was your mole? Did he have little light colored strips down his back? We have enough moles to start a ranch. I'd much prefer to have grubs. Do you see it often?

3. Jennifer Brewer

Jennifer Brewer Jennifer

He was grey allover i think. His feet were shaped like paddles! I had never seen him before. I've seen the babies lots though,when my cat leaves them on the stoop. They seem to be more brownish grey and sized like a mouse.

Grubs are gross. The eat roots off plants and grass I think. I don't want grugs in the front yard for sure because us neighbors have a bit of friendly rivalry over who's yard looks best. Mine is close to the top, which is neat because we don't use chemicals and the like except when I seed in the fall. I also won't water but once every week and only if it's been dry.

4. Ravenlost

Ravenlost Well-Known Member Supporter

Guess we're also off our rockers (we prefer it that way). Whenever one of the dogs catches a mole hubby takes it away. If it isn't injured he sets it free in a safe place (where the dogs won't find it again).

Of course, we're also the folks who raised the baby possum we found in our garage last year and released it back to the wild.

We're also the folks who told the exterminator not to spray the big garden spider over our back door and to leave her egg sacks alone too.

There's not a lot that gets killed around here...just flies, bugs eating the garden and water moccasins!