Living vertically appeals to me

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by primroselane, Nov 29, 2004.

1. primroselane

primroselane Well-Known Member

You don't have to live next to the ocean to live in a lighthouse structure. If I had it all to do over, I would seriously think about a three-story cylinder.

MANHATTAN is a vertical city, but it is largely experienced horizontally. Most Manhattanites live in apartments, with rooms spread out laterally over one or - if they're extremely lucky - two planes. The real vertical dwellers are those who live, paradoxically, in a pre-skyscraper New York. These are the town-house dwellers - in particular, the skinny town-house dwellers (skinny referring to houses) - those like Kathy Landau, Michael Kantor and their three children, Emma, Sacha and Twyla, who live their lives in layers.

Their 12½-foot-wide, five-story Queen Anne-ish brick town house on East 30th Street was built in 1880 by a man rich in daughters - he had two - but not so rich in cash. He followed a practice common to many builders at the time, which was to squeeze two houses - in his case, one for each daughter - on a 25-foot-wide lot. Twelve and a half feet may seem mingy, but it does net 12-foot-wide rooms - a perfectly decent size - in this case arrayed two to a floor and stacked on three levels beginning on the second floor. (The first floor is a studio apartment, rented out to help defray mortgage costs; the basement is an office/playroom.)

"It's living in a vertical six," Ms. Landau said. "It's about moving up and down a lot, and being judicious about what we put where."

2. katmease

katmease Member

My son has thought about converting an upright grain silo into a home with one of those spiral staircases down the center. We see so many empty concrete block ones around here of various sizes.

3. farmmaid

farmmaid Well-Known Member Supporter

...and when you forget things on the top level and have to make trips up and down??...at my knee's age, one floor, stepless...Joan :no:

4. BCR

BCR Well-Known Member

Spiral staircases are a pickle to move furniture up and down on, sometimes impossible...try it sometime with that new queen sized mattress....

I am also looking longingly at less stairs in my future, which is one of the reasons we remodelled as we did. If we have to live on one floor we can.

Sure is nice to dream though.

5. MorrisonCorner

MorrisonCorner Mansfield, VT for 200 yrs

*laugh* We've been shopping for a new mattress... and measured carefully after the Living Room Couch Disaster (suffice it to say the thing isn't coming out of the house unless we chop it apart first). Queen mattresses do not go up the narrow flights of old Vermont farmhouses. Fulls barely go up.

At least with a spiral you could design it with a block and tackle or winch at the top, and winch furniture up vertically!

When my grandmother installed the stall shower (quite a small one) it came as a single unit and did not fit through the narrow doors. The men left it overnight planning on coming back in the morning to try and figure out how to get it in the next day. Overnight my grandmother hacked (with an ax, thank you) a hole through the side of the house big enough to slide the shower through. Apparently she gave no thought to structural support, and the next day the men slid the shower in, and hastily set about making the necessary repairs.. alternating between admiration and dismay!

6. Little Quacker in OR

Little Quacker in OR Well-Known Member

:) LOL A spiral staircase??? Can you spell ORTHOPEDIC SURGEON? :haha: All it takes is for the slightest thing to go wrong and you won't want to be climbing those stairs. Be sure there is at least ONE bedroom and ONE bathroom on the bottom! :p Vertical living..snort! :no:

LQ :p

7. katmease

katmease Member

My son is a senior in high schol, I don't think he's too worried about practical or his back. On the other hand, he knows when we built on to our house, we made everything on one floor that we use regularly & handicapped accessible as we can't go up & down the steps too easily anymore.

8. desdawg

desdawg Well-Known Member

I once heard that if everyone came out of their buildings at the same time in New York City they wouldn't all fit on the ground? I don't know if the rumor is true but I thought I would help spread it. Sounds like a good place to be in the elevator business. Also sounds way too crowded for this country boy. I did spend a week there one night long ago........

9. Pony

Pony Well-Known Member Supporter

We toyed (briefly) with the idea of a spiral staircase to free up some space in our living room/dining room area. When we realized that getting furnishing up a spiral staircase would be hilarious entertainment, we thought of putting in a LARGE window/balcony off one end of the house (we have a Cape Cod).

Finally decided that, since this isn't our last place, we'll just leave well enough alone.

10. vicki in NW OH

vicki in NW OH Well-Known Member

There are houses in Holland like this. Only one or two rooms wide, but several stories high. I would think the exercise would be good for a body. Nice strong heart and legs.