Living off of seasonal road

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Cyngbaeld, Sep 12, 2005.

1. Cyngbaeld

Cyngbaeld In Remembrance Supporter

Did. Don't now, thank goodness. Can be done, but plan on being stuck at home for months at a time. Can you handle that?

2. wy_white_wolf

wy_white_wolf Just howling at the moon

If you do this don't be surpized if many of them actually hate you!!!! Consider that most people who live year-round in these areas do so for the solitude and privacy. Last thing they want is someone changing that.

3. sisterpine

sisterpine Goshen Farm Supporter

Greetings from the "remote" property LOL. Our land is on top of a mountain in the middle of no-where montana. We must travel 6.5 miles up hill on a seasonal forest service 4x4 road to get in and out. Have lived here 6 years now with me going back and forth to work all week and doing shift work to boot! We must snowmobile the 6.5 down to the bottom of the mountain where we park our cars (sometimes at a ranch and sometimes just in the forest beside the road). In all these years and all these trips up and down, hauling groceries, gasoline, laundry , animals, building supplies by sled behind the snowmobiles we have had only two problems. Once some one took the spare tire off my husbands truck (was mounted in the truck bed) it now has a lock on it and one other time I managed to blow off a fuel line at 2 am on my snowmobile while coming home alone from work. I sat there for a while in the dark winter night thinking about my options...more than 2 miles uphill in deep snow to home or more than 4 miles down hill to the ranch where my cell phone would maybe work! Finally decided to see if I could find the problem myself with my tiny flash light and was able to stuff the tube back on (over and over again) to get myself to the top of the mountain, I walked the last half mile with no problems! Sometimes I complain about not wanting to go out in the cold and ride a snowmobile at midnight but once I am on and riding I love every single minute of it. And I feel pretty darned proud of myslef too! DH and I are in our mid to late 50's so you are probably not too old to do this if you choose. In exchange for our difficult location we have a veiw to die for and peace and quiet and wildlife and much beauty and fun! OOPS forgot to add that in the spring we must park further and further up the montain to stay on snow with the sleds and then in about May we get together with some friends and pull each others trucks up through the snow to the top. We make a party of it, hard work and a barbeque at the end of the day!

4. Canucklehead

Canucklehead Active Member

Thanks for all the input. Some hate it some love it. I really like your story sisterpine.

5. gardentalk

gardentalk Well-Known Member

You are one very lucky girl. Wish my wife and I had this type of opportunity. Just found out yesterday that she *might* be pregnant. That's what the thingie she bought at Wal-Mart said. Will find out for sure in a week or so. All this and I don't have a job, sigh. I go to interview after interview for "a thinker is a stinker" type jobs with ridiculous interviews. :flame:

6. katlupe

katlupe Off-The-Grid Homesteader Supporter

When dh worked for our local highway department, they said that it is a NY state law that if someone moves onto a seasonal road to live year round, then they have to plow it in the winter. But just to that property, no further.