Living Near The Ocean?

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by BASIC, Aug 10, 2005.

1. BASIC

BASIC Well-Known Member

My wife,daughter and I just returned from a trip to myrtle beach,we loved it.The south was great,I know it's a tourist area but people were friendly,polite and just plain nice.my wife and 10 month old daughter both have asthma and didn't have any problems while there,my wife said she never has near the ocean.Are there any affordable places on the Southern East coast to live?What about hurricanesI don't mean right on the ocean but within an hour or less?I belive it would be neat to surf fish,crab and hunt the swamps for deer,hog and such.I never thought I would consider moving near the ocean.Are next trip will be to Western VA and NC to see what the mountains and Shanandoa Valley are like.Thanks for any help.

2. Jaclynne

Jaclynne Well-Known Member Supporter

I don't have any information about the cost of living/buying on the southeast coast. I just wanted to reinterate your wife's claim that asthma improves while at the coastline. I live far in state, and have asthma. Within 20 miles of the ocean(Gulf coast for me) my breathing starts getting better. Good luck on your search.

Halo

3. Kimon

Kimon Not a Cannibal

We just bought a beautiful property less than 1 mile from the ocean in Lower Alabama. The price was very reasonable and there is plenty of land available. Our property is situated between Mobil and Biloxi so there are plenty of beaches and a large population to draw services from. We are very rural and its about 6 miles to town so we have the best of both worlds. The weather to me is absolutly wonderful and the wildlife for this vegas city boy is outstanding, wild turkeys, deer, lotsa bird watching and the ground seems to be fertile enough to grow about anything. We searched from Mcallen texas to the gulf coast side of Florida for a property close to water with land in a warm climate and settled here. You are right the people are great, and so is the seafood! I think you southerners have been telling us fibs abourt the weather and this silly heat index is a tool to keep us Yankees out of the south. When we left Vegas the temp was 122 and when we arrived in LA (lower alabama) it was so cold I needed a sweater (91) heheheh. Dry heat hunid heat big difference between the two, sure its sticky but I can work outside all day with fluidsand not drop dead from sunstroke!

4. coalroadcabin

coalroadcabin Well-Known Member

XX

5. cricket

cricket Well-Known Member

Hurricanes, schmericanes...you deal with it and go on. When they aren't on top of you, you don't even think about them.

I don't know about buying but I do know that if you plan to do this you need to go ahead and do it. Land is getting very expensive and in short supply. I do know that the AL Gulf Coast is the absolute perfect place to live though... :bow:

6. Ramblin Wreck

Ramblin Wreck Well-Known Member Supporter

Another vote for LA (lower Alabama), because there are areas you can farm very near the ocean and at reasonable prices. Ten years ago, you could get land at descent prices on the Florida panhandle, the Georgia coast, and the South Carolina coast, but I haven't seen any recently. Good luck.

7. BASIC

BASIC Well-Known Member

Thanks all.I don't think we could do the drive to AL on a regular basis to look for property,the drive to SC was about 14 hours and we would like to go back and forth to explore the area before we would make a dcommitment.
    coalroadcabin,I think the area where we live in NJ is much the same as the Shenandoah Valley as far as vegitation and humidity,my wife and daughter can deal with it but I'm sire all things being equal it would be nicer not to have to.What is the area like,never having been there/is ther any affordable land left,jobs,etc?Anything in Maryland?How about the Chessapeke Bay area?On a side note,does anyone have any opinions on the Cumberland mountains of MD?
    Thanks for all the help,I hope there are still some affordable areas left that are undeveloped for us and other like minded people.

8. coalroadcabin

coalroadcabin Well-Known Member

The price of land here is like most places--going up every day. The job market is pretty stable and You are about 4-5 hours drive from the ocean.

9. agmantoo

agmantoo agmantoo Supporter

In eastern NC around the Hyde county area land remains cheap for the time being. This area will become the next area to be developed on the east coast. Recently I was contacted by an international developer wanting to buy large acreage for recreational development. In conversations it surfaced that the desireable areas from Florida to the southern part of NC and then from Va. north were already developed or were too expensive and/or small. The area mentioned does have 4 seasons but with almost no winter extremes. I suggest you visit the Washington/Bath area and look around.

10. sullen

sullen Question Answerer

If you liked Myrtle Beach, try Wilmington, NC. Very beautiful beaches, and the prices aren't that high, concidering. Desolate in the winter. VA could be a choice, there is a lot of beach that way. Norfolk is crowded, but Chesapeake is not as bad. I just came from all those places.
    I got friends in Ala/gulf coast, and I gotta agree with the other posters. Either place is worth looking into.

11. oz in SC

oz in SC Well-Known Member

Okay, let me try this again...my message vanished.

Land is expensive in Beaufort County SC but if you go a little inland to Hampton,Jasper(although it is going up there as people commute to Hilton Head Island),Allendale,Barnwell,etc you find it is reasonable.
    Here are a couple of real estate companies:
    www.hannaco.com/
    www.shaffer-mixon.com/

As to hunting,deer season starts next week and runs until Januray and hog hunting is anytime you want....

12. Reauxman

Reauxman Well-Known Member

From a Louisana resident, hunting in the swamp is not all fun and games...lol.

I have asthma, but it isn't horrible here. It's when I go further inland that it gets bad. I live a half mile from a large lake, 1/10 of a mile from the MS river and about a hour from the gulf. The MS/AL coastal area is really nice, but I kinda like it here. While it may be a little "cooler" than the SW US, it's a different type of heat. You don't have humitity there like here. Here we have to LOWER the humitity in our incubators while everyone else raises it.