Livestock thread rant

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by tinknal, Dec 28, 2006.

1. tinknal

tinknal Well-Known Member Supporter

Does this bug anyone else? I'm talking about posters who introduce a problem by introducing their livestock on a first name basis? Example; Bob made stinky poo poo yesterday............. Now I see this and generally dismiss the person and as a result, the thread. Now if it was posted like this; My 4 yo gelded giraffe bob, who has been on a diet of malting barley and wheat groats.............Made stinky poo poo...............I will offer any advise I have.

2. Shygal

Shygal Unreality star Supporter

:rotfl:
    Tink, its your wedding night, what are you doing on a forum at 2:30 in the morning talking about stinky poo poo or even thinking about it? LoL

3. tinknal

tinknal Well-Known Member Supporter

You mean I have to go to bed AGAIN???

Sigh, ok, niters hun.

4. mtman

mtman Well-Known Member

it dont bother me at all

5. mwhit

mwhit Well-Known Member

It doesn't bother me either. Only problem I have with that type of post is when they fail to mention what species they are talking about, but of course usually it is obvious-- for example, if it were posted to the goat board, it should be obvious it is a goat they are talking about, right?

6. Bearfootfarm

Bearfootfarm Hello, hello....is there anybody in there.....? Supporter

I dont mind the names so much, since Ive named a few of mine because its easier than trying to remember numbers when referring to a certain animal.

The thing that DOES irritate me though are the ones that say "My (whatever) is sick so I wormed it and gave it penicillan. Whats wrong?"

I dont think ANY medicines should be given without knowing what the problem is, and ESPECIALLY wormers and antibiotics. It just builds up resistant worms and germs to give them unecessarily

7. titansrunfarm

titansrunfarm The Awesome PT & Friends

Doesn't bother me one bit. BTW, Pooky is fine this morning. :happy:
    (sorry, couldn't resist)

8. MaineFarmMom

MaineFarmMom Columnist, Feature Writer

Buddy, Brekke, Anna, Blackie and Mr. Snuggles are good this morning. They're closed up in the barn because it's so darned cold and windy.

I do understand your point, tinknal. Words like stinky poo poo and other cutesy things make me wonder about the poster. If I don't know the person I sometimes wonder if we should be telling the person to call a vet rather than risk making a situation worse. We could be telling a child or very inexperienced person how to do something they aren't prepared to handle.

9. Freeholder

Freeholder Well-Known Member

Yes, except that most children don't talk like that!

It does make the person sound a bit, well, urban, I guess is the best way to put it. Country people are usually more down-to-earth and *real* than that!

Kathleen

10. titansrunfarm

titansrunfarm The Awesome PT & Friends

11. mizattitude

mizattitude Well-Known Member

12. wilderness1989

wilderness1989 Well-Known Member

It bothers me. We always do the brown horse (gray horse, the Saddlebred, or your colt) type of thing. Or the old Tog or the big red sow, it sure makes things seem to go more easy at sale or butchering time. My 2 ¢.

13. poorboy

poorboy Well-Known Member Supporter

do ya think their gonna eat ole poor poopy pookie.? :rolleyes: :) .:)

14. mwhit

mwhit Well-Known Member

LOL! Seriously though, I've been known to name and then eat my animals-- most do not get named, but some do with the understanding that they all still have their purpose in the end (except my crossed beaked EE chicken Meanie who does not lay, but will never be culled or eaten). My DD (7) has come to understand this-- last spring she wanted to name the meat birds and I said 'sis, we'll be eating them soon' and she said 'ok' and then she was naming the CornishX things like Supper and Soup :shrug: I don't let them name the rabbits because they seem to feel the most sympathy for them, but they have a few that are specifically pets in separate hutches. Some of the goats, pigs, ducks and chickens have names-- we'll still eat them when the time comes.