Livestock mosquito relief

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Meg Z, Oct 10, 2004.

1. Meg Z

Meg Z winding down

The mosquitoes were bad enough in the summer, but now that it's cooled down a mite, they're out in droves! All my livestock are suffering. Normally, I try to limit chemicals, but I'm open to any ideas to protect goats, rabbits, chickens and geese. The goats and the rabbits are getting the worst of it, I think. the other two snack on the bugs :haha:

Meg :)

2. kathy H

kathy H kathyh

Make a spray out of catnip, maybe buy tea bags of catnip if you can find it. Research has found that it repels them. I rub it on my skin when out at dusk and they stay away.

3. AnnaS

AnnaS Well-Known Member

Pyrethium! For whatever reason, it gets lumped with the chemicals. It's actually the extract of painted daisy. Very effective, approved for use as an organic insecticide, safe enohg to use in a dairy parlor. Easy to find it too.

4. gobug

gobug Well-Known Member Supporter

Mosquitos need still water to breed. Is such near you? They can also breed on wet land - soggy ground. There are a few products that are safe to use in or on the water. One contains bacillus thuringensis(sp) a natural mosquito destroying organism, not a processed chemical. It is sometime sold as a donut through garden supply. You can get the same stuff in a granular form and use a fertilizer spreader to put it on the wet grounds. These can be pricey. The other chemicals are for still water and form a single molecule thick layer over the water that smothers the larvae. Agnique is a brand name of one such product. It is harmless to the aquatic life and birds. There is also a propane powered device now sold at the big box hardware stores like home deport. They have a special attractant that is propelled by the device and draws into a trap. I guess they work well and might be worth the money if you don't have control over the breading sites.