Livestock Markets?

Discussion in 'Goats' started by BiGtImEfArMeRs4, Feb 23, 2005.

1. BiGtImEfArMeRs4

BiGtImEfArMeRs4 Well-Known Member

Does anyone in Maryland, Pennsylvania, Delaware, West Virginia, or Virginia know of any livestock markets that sell goats cheaply? Like under $100, or very cheap for kids? Can you tell me around how many goats they usualy have and, when and where the sale is located? How much do the goats normally go for, like for yearlings, kids, families, does, and bucks? Trieing to find some good places to buy goats.
    Thanks! Lori

2. Wendy

Wendy Well-Known Member

My advice is to buy from a reputable breeder & steer clear of auctions or animal markets. You run a higher risk of getting an animal with some sort of problem at those places. You are better off to spend a little more money on a quality goat than to buy one that is cheap. Cheap may end up costing you way more in the long run with vet bills & other problems. Most goats at these places are someone's culls & they are culled for a reason & that reason may be something that you would never want to deal with such as CL or CAE.

3. moosemaniac

moosemaniac Well-Known Member

I got some pretty darned nice American Alpines for what I'd consider a good price and in your range too. I bought them from breeders. You don't know what you'll get at a market, but with a breeder you can check health records, etc.

Ruth

4. Tater'sPa

Tater'sPa Well-Known Member

Most livestock auctions are nothing more than a receptical for unwanted hard to sell grade stock. The chances of a good find and healthy animal at an auction are slim, No way to check background and once in a sale barn a healthy animal is exposed to a plethora of health risks.
    In the 5 states you listed, there are a lot of goat farms, check at your local feed store, some of them have bulletin boards, post a "goats wanted" ad. Also check with the local 4-h groups, FFA groups. You'll be much happier :)

5. RedneckWoman

RedneckWoman Well-Known Member

Personally I wouldn't buy meat or dairy goats at an auction. Maybe a pet or brush eater and then I would still be leary. I got mine from a breeder and they only ran me right at $100 (they won't win any shows but they are excellent for what I want them for). If you are set on going to an auction you might try the Livestock Market of Spencer in Spencer, WV. Every Friday they normally have 100-200 head. Bred dairy breads sell around $75-$100, unbred $50-$75, Boer goats $50-$175, goats so mixed no one knows what it is and bucks usually average $45, kids $10-$30. Dwarfs and pygmys stay right at $40 usually. Regs might add a little more to the going price but usually not more than $10 or $20. Those are just average prices I see but it really depends on what is there that night and who is there to buy if you know what I mean.

6. Wanda

Wanda Well-Known Member

New holland Pa. livestock sale on Mondays sells 6-900 head of goats every week :eek: Could be worth your time to go see what the cash price at the time is. Will give you an idea of what a fair mkt. price is for your area.

7. BiGtImEfArMeRs4

BiGtImEfArMeRs4 Well-Known Member

We normally do go to breeders, or to people who have them in papers or something, but we also go to Livestock Markets. We buy either skinny, or small, or bred goats. We keep them separate from the goats we bought from people or breeders. We only fatten them, or grow them, or let them have babies, then sell them or if they were bred then we see how their health is before keeping them. We bought a lamancha doe for $32 that was skinny and we kept her around her and she is a huge doe, healthy and tame as could be. She is'nt registered but is close to being show quality, even though we are not looking for show quality animals. We always go down and look at the animals before they are sold to look at them and see how they walk, how they milk, and how they act around us and other goats before buy any of them.

RedNeckWoman, Thanks for telling us about that place, maybe will think about going there to see what they have during the summer.

Wanda, We will be going there, but have heard that goats sell higher there than what they do closer to us. Who knows though!

Thanks to everyone who has replied!
    Lori

8. Farmgirl2005

Farmgirl2005 Well-Known Member

I beleive NEw Holland Auction House sells goats to i believe anyway, they are located in New HOlland,
    Hope this helps.
    Lyn.
    P.s. DO you have any babies for sale; please pm me

9. dosthouhavemilk

dosthouhavemilk Well-Known Member Supporter

New Holland, PA is where our goats generally go when sold. It brings in the most money for us generally. So they would be more expensive. Anything we sell at our local sale barn ends up at New Holland anyways and we get less here. :rolleyes:
    We only sell wethers and our breeding bucks there though.