Livestock guardians

Discussion in 'Goats' started by Caprice Acres, Aug 27, 2006.

1. Caprice Acres

Caprice Acres AKA "mygoat" Staff Member Supporter

I may have been just lucky the past few years, but I've never had a problem with any predators and my goats. I've had goats for nearly 5 years now. That's not that long, I know, but I've learned alot and invested alot in my pet pygmies that I also breed now. I am very emotionally attached to the durned things too, lol. With chickens now sharing part of the pasture with goats and sure to attract more attention from predators, I think I will need a good way to protect my herd in the future. I know I have coyotes, fox, and we've got some darned big raccoons (as big as 30 lbs!) around here as well. Not to mention stray dogs that I've been seeing more and more often over the years. :grump:
    I do have two small 4.5 week old doelings running around now, and I do worry. I especially worry right after kidding, as all the mess just attracts attention. I keep two separate pastures, one for my bucks and one for my does. My does have a large dirt floored barn stall area to be in, and my bucks have a 10'x8' shed that they are currently using 1/2 of for the two of them.
    I know a couple LGD's would be the best to get, but I highly doubt my dad would appreciate two new dogs on the property... We've got some very nice fencing up for my goats, but I know it may not be enough against a very industrious coyote/fox/dog. No barrier to a raccoon whatsoever. There is also some 4' high chain link as part of thier pasture as well. Keeps my goats in, but not sure how effective it would be if, say, that GSD really wanted in.
    How do donkeys do protecting against raccoons and stuff, or do they just protect against coyotes/dogs? I know this winter I'll be trapping around the chicken coop, and out in our property as well, probably using chicken carcasses for bait and stuff... But removing them just makes room for more...

2. Caprice Acres

3. Faithful Heart

Faithful Heart Well-Known Member

I don't know for sure about donkeys, but I knew someone who used a llama to protect his sheep. The llama wouldn't even let the CAT in the pasture. :)

4. Caprice Acres

I was thinking about them too but I'd need one to guard the buck pasture too, and all they have is a 8x10 shed which I Think I could put a mini donkey in... Unless I"m wrong?

5. Egypt Run

Egypt Run Active Member

Judy and I have a llama as a livestock guardian. He has chased off dogs,deer, coyotes and raccoons. He guards our goats and chickens. A neuthered male or female two years or old llama is the best choice.

Steve

6. KSALguy

KSALguy Lost in the Wiregrass Supporter

Donkeys dont care if a coon or possim comes into the pasture or not for the most part, now if something is WRONG with the animal like if its sick or something the donky MIGHT react but there is no guarantees,

i have no knolage of the LLamas, but LGD's are what i had the most of, and they work great if you have the ability to work them properly and train them what is NOT expected of them.

it sounds like others have had lots of good luck with the Llamas though as well

7. TexCountryWoman

TexCountryWoman Gig'em

I have 3 Great Pyrenees and 6 donkeys.

The dogs protect the goats and chickens and the donkeys run off the things further out like feral hogs and coyotes that are far off. They would get after a goat if it got to close to them and get aggravated at the poultry on occasion. If we had less donkeys and they were bonded to the goats it would be different. But our donkeys run with the horse and cattle and also form there ouw herd (we had 10 last yr).

The LGDs are amazing, I can't say enough good about them. I would definately reccommed them over donkeys even though i sell donkeys. A dog will not get irratated with a goat and turn and kick it or bite it's tail off like a donkey. We have a calf right now missing the end of it's tail...the jack did it.

Our dogs adore the goats. One little MiniMancha has used one as a stepping stool to reach the big water trough. We can leave the farm overnight and know nothing will get anything.

8. KSALguy

KSALguy Lost in the Wiregrass Supporter

that was my experiance with the LGD's i will have them again as soon as i am back in the country

9. pyrnad

pyrnad Well-Known Member

LGD's are a way of life on my farm. They are amazing. They will let you know if their is something wrong with one of the animals they are guarding. You need to learn the different barks they do. They will keep your livestock safe.

10. Caprice Acres

See, I know LGD's are the best to get, but the problem is convincing my dad that we need two more large dogs.

11. cmharris6002

cmharris6002 Well-Known Member Supporter

Maybe you could talk your dad into getting one LGD for the buck pen and a llama for the does?

I have a llama and we all just LOVE her. They are extremely intelligent and affectionate toward the goats and kids. Ours lets the kids climb all over her with a look that says, just look at these adorable babies who could resist them! Llamas seem to think of the goats as their 'pets'. We never get predators anymore, not even opossums or raccoons... Llamas are also easy to keep and cost very little to feed.

~Christy

12. Bearfootfarm

Bearfootfarm Hello, hello....is there anybody in there.....? Supporter

Show him this:
    [​IMG]
    How could you NOT want one?

13. Caprice Acres

My sentiments exactly. Now, to convince daddy... LOL