livestock and deer?

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by beginnerfarmer, Oct 1, 2005.

1. beginnerfarmer

beginnerfarmer Well-Known Member

I am wondering can u get deer and turkey to come on ur pasture land?

2. Yes in time the deer will start showing up around your livestock

3. caballoviejo

caballoviejo Well-Known Member

How do you keep them off?

4. beginnerfarmer

I would like them to come on the land so I can
    hunt them.

5. Oldotaku

Oldotaku Member

If you have land, and you have something that deer can either eat or drink (or SALTBLOCKS), you WILL have deer, whether you like it or not...

6. Actualy I have been bvery close to A Deer on a horse before and outher critters I feel that is why in most states you cant hunt from horse back

7. comfortablynumb

comfortablynumb Well-Known Member

well around here if you want to attract deer to your land do this;
    grow 1/2 acre of corn
    and 1/2 acre of alfalfa. Dont harvest it. do this for 3 yrs in a row, and youll have a heard of deer and a massive flock of turkeys.

most every deer i get has a gutfull of corn or high grade alfalfa, and nearly an inch of blubber under their skin.

if you feed them, they will come.
    if you thnk about it, it is a very cost effective way of farming good quality lean meat.
    add salt licks all over the place, and after a while eve gunshots wont chase them off.
    it will turkeys they are pretty smart. I have a heard (to big for a flock..) of wild turkeys that cross the road and cross the field in front of my house every day. the other day, there was 2 females and about 20 or so babies in the hose pen taking dust baths...
    the adults walked right up to my back window. If I was hungry, I could eat well just using a lawn chair and a 410.... they come almost right to you.

all ya have to do is provide a few strips of unharvested corn and alfalfa... and wait.

8. beginnerfarmer

Ok thanks for the tips. I will remeber that when I am rdy to buy some land.

9. texican

texican Well-Known Member

the other reason it might be illegal to hunt from horseback is, unless you and your horse know what you're doing, odds are you're gonna get thrown and possibly break your neck...or end up shooting yourself...or your horse...

no law like that in Tx or Co...

10. comfortablynumb

comfortablynumb Well-Known Member

if you want turkeys and you dont seem to have any wild ones, you can buy "wild" turkey babies froom mury mcmurry hatchery. you could also buy some quail and phesant for a meat variety and let them loose on your land. we have here quail, ringneck phesant, turkey and grouse, but only in the las 10 yrs have they become a heathy population, when people stopped hunting so much around here. I havent seen a ringneck in a few yrs but we used to have a lot of them, they are gone I am guessing because the farmers around me switched from corn and oats to all hay.
    so as for birds, you can restock it with native birds.
    you might be "not allowed to" but who really needs to know your releasing a few dozen now and then? if they are native birds, no harm done, moreso if your harvesting them later.

if you have the right land layout, you can also farm fish, in a stock pond. a small pond managed right can yield a lot of fish per yr.

11. bgak47

bgak47 Well-Known Member

I have a feeder & it attracts deer,turkeys,quail,rabbits, & lots of other wildlife. Cracked corn, spread around twice a day.

12. walkinghorse

walkinghorse Active Member

I noticed your question was asked at 9.39pm .
    If the land you are looking at is like 99 % of Montgomery rural land , you had a couple of deer come or go in the time it took you to type .
    Ther are BIG deer around those river bottoms ,don't tell anyone, ssshhhh !.