Liver

Discussion in 'Pigs' started by caroline00, Aug 31, 2006.

1. caroline00

caroline00 Well-Known Member

Do you all eat the liver? My husband wants me to ask!
    Thanks

2. Rockin'B

Rockin'B Well-Known Member

I don't eat any kind of liver. I can't stand the stuff.

But when I killed my pigs my neighbor took the liver and was happy as can be. He loved the stuff.

3. michiganfarmer

michiganfarmer Max Supporter

I love it. Liver is pretty much love it or hate it

4. primal1

primal1 Well-Known Member Supporter

I used to only eat beef liver till my oldworld German grandma told me pork is better... and she was right!

5. BobK

BobK Well-Known Member

The liver is an essential ingredient of gut cookies....these are the dog treats we make out of the innards....best dang dog treats your pooch has ever et.....

6. Ronney

Ronney Well-Known Member

I love liver but don't eat pork or beef liver as I find both too strong. That's a personal taste and if it wasn't for that I would eat it with the same gusto as I eat sheep liver - with bacon :) I'm not much fussed on pork kidneys either but eat beef and sheep kidney.

Cheers,
    Ronnie

7. bill not in oh

bill not in oh Well-Known Member

8. Rockin'B

Rockin'B Well-Known Member

Thata's too funny!!!!

But, I agree.....

9. Steve L.

Steve L. Well-Known Member

Well, I'm one of the ones who like it.

10. caroline00

caroline00 Well-Known Member

Thanks! I'll let him know he loves beef and chicken liver... I'm a nurse...I dont eat it :)

11. Firefly

Firefly Well-Known Member

If your concern is safety, not taste, there's no reason not to eat home-grown liver unless you were treating it the same way the commercial growers do. Liver is good if cooked gently and not too long, medium rare-medium.

I love liver but was shocked at the intense flavor of my first home-grown chicken liver. Wow, that was a totally different experience form store-bought! And it was so clean and pretty and dark, not that yellowish mushy junk in factory chickens that I always worry is cancerous. I wonder how the pigs' liver will taste? I guess I'll know in a couple of weeks... :Bawling:

12. Firefly

Recipe please, Bob? Sounds great!

13. GeorgeK

GeorgeK Well-Known Member

Liver doesn't travel well. If you can tolerate store bought liver you will love fresh liver. medium to medium rare, seasoned with onion powder, garlic powder, paprika and pepper, lightly fried. Pork is much better than beef. Venison is better than pork

Dog treats: (If you are not going to eat it yourself, but I can't imagine why)

Grind or process the unwanted cleaned parts until it is in little bits and then fry or steam til cooked and set aside to cool (or not)
    add some egg and water (equal amounts) until it is a slurry.
    Add some salt (about a half tsp per pound of meat)and sugar (same as salt)and any kind of flour or milled grain like flour, oatmeal, cornmeal etc until it is a dough.

Roll out and cut into the lengths you want and bake at 350 til dry.

14. BobK

BobK Well-Known Member

We run the liver, heart, kidneys, and tongue through the meat grinder (small plate). Mix with water, flour and some cornmeal....not too much cornmeal or they will be too crumbly to cut later.....mix to a sticky 'paste'...proportions are up to you....and turn out into a greased and floured pan....bake at 350 F until cooked...let cool and cut into half-inch cubes....place cubes into a dehydrator and dry....once dry the cookies will last indefinitely without spoiling....and the dogs love em!

15. BellsBunnies

BellsBunnies Well-Known Member

Fried Liver & Onions mmmmmmmmm

16. primal1

primal1 Well-Known Member Supporter

Next time try thowing some flour and table cream in there :goodjob:

17. Firefly

Thanks Bob and George for the recipes, I am sure they'll be a hit! Dehydrator--that is perfect and I never thought of it. I guess a very low oven left open a crack will work too. What about spleen, lungs, stomach? I'm asking for everything as I have chickens who will eat anything resembling meat, am I likely to get those? Spleen used to be sold in markets as human food. :eek:

18. BobK

BobK Well-Known Member

I'm sure you could throw in the spleen, pancreas, and thymus also.....lungs and stomach probably not....but you could boil them in a pot and feed them out to the chickens once cooked...anyway you can get the gut cookies bone-dry will work.....

19. highlands

highlands Walter Jeffries Supporter

I like liver but my wife can't stand the smell. I give the liver to a friend who appreciates it.

20. susieM

susieM Well-Known Member

We grind it up with the meat and fat of the throat, along with salt, pepper, and hot paprika, and then can it (French style, three hours in a boiling water bath), for paté. This is very good spread on bread with pickles, or baked with potatoes and cheese.