Liver Flukes / heavy metal poisoning

Discussion in 'Cattle' started by lilsassafrass, Apr 11, 2005.

1. lilsassafrass

lilsassafrass Well-Known Member

Ok folks,

Just had teh vet out again this weekend ..
    I have been losing aged cattle at an alarming rate ... have another one down now .. of coarse she is across the creek in the most inaccesable place have to haul feed and water .. and the vet over on teh tractor to pull blood , stool sample and run a coase of vits , antibiotics , and steriods .. this is the first one that I have a live cow to do with other than crystal and we thought we were at the time of her demise , fighting a pysical injury .. but we now think not , that her problems stem from an underlying cause
    My aged cow group have been losing weight .. not alamingly so .. considering that they are all over 14 .. the oldest and first to go down was 21
    they have access to free choice good quality hay all winter, second cutting since febraury , as well as protein tanks and the usual vites and minerals , I keep mag blocks and selineum blocks available as well ... they are given anthementics on a regular schedule .. ( even treated mid winter out of rotation because i thought we were carrying a heavier external parasite load than i liked .. used cydectin ..) I also keep a rub for tehm to use ..
    the vet is not unhappy with my health program .. i have been keeping this herd for 17 years .. pretty much same ol same ol year in year out .. no problems

We have two thoughts on teh problem .. the first . is liver flukes .. that because of the unusually wet two years the snail population is way up cuasing exposure to be way up , and even though I have alternated anthemintics as I said cydectin .. is the one of chioce this year ( with safe gaurde blocks made available in spring .. ) I was pretty sure i chose the cydectin last year because it was weather resistant , safe on preg cows , and was effective for liver flukes
    ( I lost the package insert .. it has been a year since i bought teh stuff )
    The vet suggests using ivemec plus .. and we got out the pbs catalogue .. (PBS warehoue is only a half hour away from me) they carry it and it claims effective on liver flukes ...
    so the blood work and stool sample will tell something along that line
    the other thought .. we have East manufaturing up creek from us .. they make aluminium semi trailers .. they have been there for thirty years , and at one time used to bury their chems , on the back part of their land .. epa has been called over the years but some on has enough cumshaw to pass along so things are overlooked , besides the township and county have tax interest in teh plant being there..
    back again to unusual wet and flooding , and possible leaching of toxics /heavy metals into creek water and cumulative exposure to those , and my only solution and a poor one at best .. is to fence off the creek .. wich wont eliminate contamination during flooding of pasture .. and i have almost a quarter mile of creek going through my pasture .. that means fencing of both sides .. (wich is on the list to do anyway because of erriosion .. but it hasnt been on top of the ...things to do list .. but this year it gets moved up to the top 5 things to do )

Now .. my question .. has anyone ever had experience with having to fight liver fluke .. adn what product did you find effective ?
    so far I have had no problem with my younger stock .. ( under 14 s ) but that can change
    has anyone used the ivomec plus yet .. its fairly new .. I had a 04 cataogue .
    and did it work for you ?
    I want to add that I have the main herd locked up away from teh pasture . in teh loafing pen .. so i can moniter what water they have access to .. but i cant keep them there all summer .. as its only about an acre ....

Paula .
    Hyde Park Farm

2. BDB

BDB BDB

is this highlands your havin problems with ?
    I raise highlands to in RI I have used ivomec and eprinex but not the plus I worry about the liver flukes here to this year theres a lot of moisture here my pastures are like swamps
    hopefuly the vet can give you some insight on the cows if its poisoning from the stream gonna be kinda hard to control with all the flooding lately why did the vet say he didnt like your health program sounds like your doin the same thing I am let me know how you make out and sorry to hear about the cows

Brian
    Seven Srings Farm

3. lilsassafrass

Brian , yes they are the highlands
    but you misunderstood .. the vet is fine with my health program .. not unhappy

we are trying to come up with an effective anthelmentic for liver flukes .. so far teh best he can suggest is ivomec plus , but that is from the data he has read , non of his clients have mentioned that they have used it , or the results if they have ...

Paula

4. BDB

BDB BDB

sorry i misunderstood is that what they think it is the liver flukes i think the eprinex is good for the flukes to
    Brian

5. Ronney

Ronney Well-Known Member

Hi Paula,

Yes, I have Liver Fluke problems and drench twice a year for it in the spring and again in the autumn. This was after I lost a pregnant cow that was on excellent feed but lost weight rapidly. An autopsy showed a liver thick with Fluke and I was informed that it is a problem in the area we live. If this is what your old girls are suffering from, they won't be able to deal with it.

There are few drenches that deal with Fluke over here and I feel that it is possibly the same where you are. I'm now using Genesis Ultra which is a pour-on that targets Fluke as well as the other worms. Prior to that I was using an oral drench which only did Fluke but I can't remember the name of it. I can find out for you if it would help.

Look for the words Fasciola hepatica on the drench packet.

Cheers,
    Ronnie

6. B Adams

B Adams Well-Known Member

Here in East Texas we also have liver flukes, we use Ivomec Plus, mainly in the fall as it only gets the adult flukes. The drench that gets the adults and the immatures is called Curatrem. The dosage is 7.5cc per 200# for the curatrem. It also says do not use in dairy cattle of breeding age because a withdrawal time for milk has not been established. B Adams
    Ivomec plus also has the same milk withdrawal warning as the curatrem.

7. lilsassafrass

thankyou folks ,

I will discuss both of those anthementics with the vet when he comes today to do the PM on the cow we treated on sunday , she passed on yesterday.
    Looks like I need to do a little research on what company carries them , I dont think i saw either in the PBS catalouge , but as I said the one I was looking at was an '04 . gotta search for my new one ...
    I should also note that I will hear about the water test sometime next week
    the water sample went to a lab in holmes county ..
    Havent got the blood work back yet , but again in a day or so , should know

One other thought the vet and i had , was nitrate poisoning .. not from my feedstuffs but again because of teh wet weather higher concentrations might be leaking up into the surface area... he had a case several years ago in one of the more southerly counties of a herd of broodmares , mystereiously wasting
    and dying for no apparent reason , and that was the eventual diagnosis then ... same conditions , unusually wet years

this is so discouraging .. And i get so frustrated .... never mind that I was going to cull out 4 of the seven anyway , and now dont have to

8. saddlebutt

saddlebutt New Member

Sassy,
    I pulling for ya, you a Matlock will figure it out. I need to be able to come over there and gaze over tht beautiful herd you have there. When you figure it out it will be as clear as anything to ya. Love ya.
    Saddle..Ohio