Liver and kidney recipes

Discussion in 'Rabbits' started by Christiaan, Aug 12, 2005.

1. Christiaan

Christiaan Dutch Highlands Farm

Anyone have interesting recipes for livers and kidneys? I usually just flour and fry, or fry and add to omelettes. Would like to have some more interesting things to do with them.

2. Thatch

Thatch Well-Known Member

Now this is a tread I've been meaning to post myself. At this point I'm chucking all the ofal as I didn't know what to do with it (that and I tend to tear up the liver getting it out most of the time).

J

3. nehimama

nehimama An Ozark Engineer Supporter

I really like the rabbit livers. They're so tender and mild. First of all, very CAREFULLY cut out the dark green bile sac. You don't want to contaminate the liver, or any of the other meat with that stuff.

Cut the liver into bite-sized pieces, sautee with some onion. Season with poultry seasoning. Serve with some chicken gravy and mashed potatoes. Yumm.

I have another recipe for liver dumplings. If that doesn't sound too awful to you, let me know, and I'll share it.

It's a personal taste thing, but I never cared for the kidneys. I do cook them up for the dogs or cats, or whoever is on hand to eat that sort of stuff. They even smell yucky when being boiled. (I guess you have to boil the p!ss out of them - LOL!)

NeHi Mama

4. Tucker

Tucker Well-Known Member

LOL Mama ,,, My hubby will take out the liver ,, (with much mumbling under his breath) :grump: ,, he dosen't like butchering anyhow ,,

& he absolutely refuses to take out heart / kidneys for me to cook up for our four footed carniviorus critters :p & they ain't eating anything raw ,, :p

and hub eats beef kidneys and they do have to have the **** boiled off !! :1pig: hub will boil / drain water / refill boil again / refill add peppers - seasonings cook till tender ,,

I will NEVER be hungry enough to eat them or the hog moll he also eats LOL :p

5. Christiaan

Please send the liver dumpling recipe, it sounds intriging

6. nehimama

Okay, since you asked so nicely. . . . . :)

There is nothing precise about this. I've been making it for years, (and I'm OLD) learned from my mom, and rely on personal taste, guessing, and a little bit o' this and a little bit o' that. Ready?

Put some livers through a meat grinder, and maybe half an onion, too. When you have that in the bowl, add an egg or two, and mix well. Now you'll want to add seasonings; whatever you like - salt & pepper, poultry seasoning, parsley, whatever sounds good. Then mix in enough flour to make a sort of stiff, but still spoonable dumpling dough. I can't explain it any better than that - sorry!

By now you have some gravy or broth bubbling on the stove. Drop the dumpling dough into the bubbling broth by the spoonful. Sort of small spoonfuls; don't make them too big. Cover the pot and simmer gently for about 15 minutes.

This is an old, old recipe, via Grandma's Slovakian heritage. I hope it's not too wierd, and that you'll like it. It really makes liver a much milder meal for those who are squeamish about the taste of liver. I've used beef liver, pork liver, and chicken livers as well as rabbit livers.

NeHi Mama

7. Christiaan

Thankyou Mama, they sound wonderfull. Sounds like Sunday dinner!

8. nehimama

Oooooh, you're a brave one to try that, Christiaan. ;)

Please do let me know how it all turns out, and if you like the end product! I do like 'em myself, but not many folks do. I have even been known to can them, and that doesn't turn out too badly, either (IMO - LOL!)

NeHi Mama

9. westbrook

westbrook In Remembrance

oh please do share your canning recipe.

10. nehimama

Cook the dumplings in a thin gravy or a pot of onion soup (made from onion soup mix) for 15 - 20 minutes, simmering gently with lid on the pot.

Pack in clean, hot pint jars, adding the soup or broth you cooked them in. Process at 10 pounds pressure for one hour.

NeHi Mama

P.S. I really had to go back into my "archives" for this one! Last time I did this was in the 70s. Amazing that I didn't kill my whole family with this stuff. My original directions said to "process at 10 lbs, 15 to 20 minutes. Holy Cow! We could've gotten food poisoning. :(

11. westbrook

westbrook In Remembrance

12. Christiaan

Well, there just weren't enough rabbit livers to do anything with but saute' them in butter and eat with some nice sourdough toast. Had a couple of donut peaches for afters. Anyone else tried those peaches? I've avoided them because they looked like yuppy novelty fruit, but a friend gave me some and they are yummy!!!
    I'm going to order some calves liver and fix me some dumplings soon. They sound so good.
    My Dad used to make a liver salad which was basicly boiled liver cubed and mixed with mustard pickalilly. That was good too, but DW is just not that fond of liver.