Live with or without??

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by fitwind, May 2, 2006.

1. fitwind

fitwind Well-Known Member

I was thinking of things I could live without having and the things I just had to have.And it was harder than I thought it would be alot of things werent out of neccesity.Like a car I have to have one for work but I could live without.Basic things like T.V.,phone,dvd, and the list is to long if you know what I mean. I guess really all I would need is a roof over my head, food source, water, and my husband and daughter.But I wanted electricty and furniture for comfort.........what could you live with or without????

2. wilderness1989

wilderness1989 Well-Known Member

3. DixyDoodle

DixyDoodle stranger than fiction

I could easily live without tv. I don't watch much of it as a rule. The only shows I like are Judge Judy and the weather channel, LOL. Oh, and occasionally Cold Case Files. But as for those reality shows (such as Survivor which I have never seen) and stuff like American Idol, I'll pass. I guess I just don't care for that fake Hollywood garbage. Most of the shows are either depressing or make you feel inadequate, so why watch it?

Uhhhh, I could do without a car if I could make my way with a horse. Not likely they're gonna let me do that in town AND it would take too long.

Dvds I could do without also. I haven't seen hardly any movies in so long. I used to watch them as I exercised, but I've been too busy even for that! Oh well, when I play catch-up, there will be lots I haven't seen.

Can I make do without a computer? Probably, but it is very informative. I would miss it way more than the tv. But if they were outlawed tomorrow, I would survive. I have to admit, when we had that big ice storm a while back, with no electricity for a whole week, the first thing I did when it went on was log on to the computer! ;)

DD

4. Meg Z

Meg Z winding down

Well, I don't watch TV now, and rarely listen to the radio or other canned music, so those are easy!

If it weren't for trying to keep track of hubby and kids, scattered across the world, I'd gladly give up the phone!

I like electicity, since it makes it so much easier to get water out of the well. :rolleyes:

I like refrigeration, too, but could can stuff rather than freeze if needed.

I have to have a car/truck, so there's no option there.

Meg

5. pcdreams

pcdreams Well-Known Member

sure not enough room here to post them all

Top of the list would be

more gov't regulations
    higher taxes
    higher fuel (scratch that.. I want horse & buggy)

Car
    electric
    phone
    mortage
    house in town
    insurance of any kind
    a**hole neighbors
    whiny people
    religious zelots

I know there is more.. just can't think of anything right now.

Only thing I feel I need is running water..

6. Gresford

Gresford Well-Known Member

Now that's a thought provoking question. I think it's very easy for me to say that I can live without things like my computer but the reality is I'll never know until I don't have access to it. But one thing I can definitely do without is my TV.

7. kesoaps

kesoaps Well-Known Member

I suppose there are a number of things I could give up, if need be. But what would go first? Television! DH is addicted. He grew up in front of one (babysitter!), and has a hard time telling his kids they can't watch it (actually, I'm the one who has to monitor what's on as he's not quite capable :p )

So, out with the TV. Landline phone would be the second thing...or maybe the first? I've got my cell, which I need. Really! I do, I do! I neeeeed it! Well, it's handy, at least, when tracking down family members (family plan is great) or calling out of town family and friends with the free weekend minutes. A luxury, to be sure, but a nice one.

Computers? But they connect me to you!

Riding lawn mowers...unless it's the four legged variety! I'd rather have critters do the mowing.

I wish we had a woodstove, I'd give up electricity and propane. Well...cut back a little at least.

8. wvpeach1963

wvpeach1963 WVPEACH (Paula)

It boils down to this. You can live without anything, but a roof over your head, your loved ones near, some food and water, heat in winter and a good book or two.

Deck of cards and a oil lamp might come in handy to ward off real boredom .

Should winter get too long some homemade wine would come in handy!
    purely for medicinal purposes mind You. LOL

9. BillyGoat

BillyGoat Well-Known Member

The T.V......adios...goodbye...good ridence. I watch very little, only occasionaly while hubby has it on, but he is the t.v. watcher by far.

I would say the computer, but I don't think so. I learn so much and get do much information from it.

I would have a hard time giving up my chocolate(brownies and chocolate ice cream) hey I know it is not important, but I am being hinest here! LOL :shrug:

I could give up radio(but I like my few cd's I have).

10. MomOf4

MomOf4 Well-Known Member

Seeing a common topic here - I too would boot the TV asap, if DH would allow it (besides internet, he feels that's his only luxury!) But I don't know if I could do without having Mr. Chuck in my bedroom every morning (the weatherman on my favorite local station). :) That's all I watch the news for anyway.

We have all become so accustomed to the luxuries we have, that we can't really say for sure what we would really miss, and what we wouldn't. There are things we would all, I am sure, be willing to reduce or cut back, but not do without unless it was not available anymore.

11. IDgoats

IDgoats Active Member

couple yrs ago went to Tx. to a friends winter place. Only cell phone, and propane to go with water and house, food. It's amazing how fast your body and mind let all the pressure go. It was really relaxing to spend two weeks there. If you ever try it you'll let lots of things go. as uninportant.

dan

12. fitwind

fitwind Well-Known Member

When I moved to Missouri 2 1/2 yrs. ago all we had was the house we just rented, water, electric,air matress and blankets we lived like that for 3 mos. Oh and of course food,candles,cards and a monopoly game.We did buy a radio the first month for we could keep up with the weather for school purposes.

13. MTNwomanAR

MTNwomanAR Well-Known Member

Well, I have been living without electricity for 11 years now...and don't really miss it...too much... I have a generator, but don't use it. If I wasn't working in town all the time, I would probably fire the genny up more....I wouldn't want to live without the puter. I have, but didn't really like it. I can live without tv....only watch movies some. I read a lot, so that is my really big expense as far as treats go................I use candles to see by, and heat with wood. When I cook, I use my propane stove, a very, very old 3 burner coleman. Or I cook outside, when ever the weather is okay...........I too, would LOVE to not NEED a car, but right now I do. Am going to some day have a horse and buggy..... :)

14. jnap31

jnap31 garden guy

Exactly what I was thinking, I guess I am not living now since my loved ones are so far away, feels like I am dead anyway, I am sure I can be revbived when this is finally over.

15. Rouen

Rouen Well-Known Member

if you work in a dog friendly environment why not go for a dog and buggy?

http://www.picnics.dogdriving.com/march11.html :rolleyes:

16. rambler

rambler Well-Known Member Supporter

Need water, food, & shelter. Basics will do.

Want my friends & family.

Want some land to farm.

Want good food, want internet, want some TV if the friends & family don't work out so well...

Million other things I want, but probably can get along without if I must.

--->Paul

17. Shygal

Shygal Unreality star Supporter

Im glad you clarified that, I didnt think Chuck was that kind of guy! :p

18. jnap31

jnap31 garden guy

I dont think it would get her to work in time and she would get run over on the hwy she is about 45 driving min from town.

19. Shrek

Shrek Singletree Moderator Staff Member Supporter

20. Ross

Ross Moderator Staff Member Supporter

Pauls list is pretty much mine, except change want to need for family and friends. I really don't need a fancy car, A little truck or Jeep will do. TV is a pox for the most part, I need my news channels, the educational channels are OK, but disapointing really. I need my tools, need my books, need my dog, need a small selection of simple guns and my fishing gear, warm in the winter is a need I guess but that's a shelter issue.