Live trap questions

Discussion in 'The Great Outdoors' started by holleegee, Oct 23, 2006.

1. holleegee

holleegee Well-Known Member

We have had problems with a racoon killing our chickens. (I know it is a racoon because of the muddy footprints he left behind.) He can reach his hand in the wire and pulls out chunks of chicken. I got a live trap for my birthday but have only caught the neighbor cat. The neighbor will not keep the cat inside so my question is..

What can I bait my livetrap with that will attract the racoon and not the cat?
    I have tried tuna but I only catch cats with tuna :)

We now have electric fence running about a foot off of the ground around the chicken run but I'm not sure how that will work this winter with the snow.

We have a lot of racoons, if you leave your car windows open at night they will climb in your car. (I know people in town trap and dump them near our house.) I know a guy from church that coon hunts and said he would take the ones I catch but I can't catch any.

Any tips?

2. SW Ohio

SW Ohio Well-Known Member

I use cat food as bait, obviously not the right answer to your question...

But I have heard that marshmallows would work.

Good luck,

Brian.

3. holleegee

I'll try marshmallows tonight!
    Thanks!

4. elkhound

elkhound Well-Known Member Supporter

to keep from catching cats use only sweet stuff...donuts...honeybuns...cake...bread with syrup or honey....anything sweet.

5. GREENCOUNTYPETE

GREENCOUNTYPETE Moderator Staff Member

try dog food.

usualy i use chicken but that catches lots of cats , just throught a wing or some skin in .

try dog food and try putting the trap up high i just loaned my trap to a friend who has lots of cats a little dog food in the trap and the trap up in the rafters
    did the trick he had it in a few days

6. big rockpile

big rockpile If I need a Shelter

Take a piece of wire run it through a marshmallow,hang it inside the Trap,over the trip.

big rockpile

7. swamp man

swamp man Well-Known Member

Cats will go after most any of the baits listed above.If the cat is preventing you from handling the coon problem,it's creating nearly as much of a problem as the coon is.Send it to kittycat heaven,and don't tell anyone.
    If not,you need to bait with vegetables.They are especially fond of melons.
    Rockpiles,suggestion to wire the bait inside is a very good one.Coons are smart,and will often opt to pull the bait out from the side instead of entering the trap.They are determined and tenacious too,though,and that has been the downfall of many a coon on my place.More often than not,if they cant pull the bait out through the side of the trap,they will enter it.Peanut butter smeared onto the triggerplate works great too,but I aint sure if the cats would go after the peanut butter,or not.
    If ya' have lots of coons around,it's highly unlikely that it's just one of them that's killing chickens.They tend to wise up to a trap after a couple of 'em get caught,so it's a good idea to move the trap frequently,and put the trap away for a few days after ya' get one or two.
    Coons are very easy to dress,and delicious,too.Holler if ya' need some recipes,and good luck with the coon problem.

8. Rockin'B

Rockin'B Well-Known Member

I catch them using half an apple. I use apple becuase we have a lot of ground hogs and they are tearing up the slope leading down to my pond. We've caught quite a few coons using apples. They'll go for bananas too. I pull the pell back a tiny pit so more scent is let loose.

9. HeatherDriskill

HeatherDriskill Well-Known Member

We caught cats with marshmallows, too. You might need to pen the cat up for a couple of days until you catch the coon.

10. Fire-Man

Fire-Man Well-Known Member Supporter

First-------Why are your chickens so close to the wire figuring this is happening at night? I have killed alot of raccoons around my chicken pen, but never had a problem with them trying to pull a chicken through the wire, but its possible-----------The only time I had that problem was with my fenced in Guinea's were sleeping next to the wire at night and it was not a coon-----it was a bobcat---they will grab one and shread it, but after loosing two guinea's through the wire----I set a trap and caught the bobcat the next night using what was left of a guinea from the night before as bait also moved their roost so they could not get close to the edge. You can use 1/2 of a honey bun or corn for your raccoons for bait, but if they get the taste of blood----They Want Blood. Catch the neighbors cat and close it up in a cage--it could be part of your problem. After a few days if the neighbor doesn't come looking for the cat-------Do what ever you feel!! I have lost atleast 6 white ducks in the last few weeks--------thinking it was a gator---I feel it was part gator---so the ducks started sleeping out the water----in a few days I lost one every other night---No feathers laying around---just gone. So I finally caught the last duck I have and put him in a 10ftx10ft dog kennel about 3 ft from the water--wired on top------I set-up a wildlife camera--the second night I got 7 pictures of the Guilty culprit--he actually got a hold on the duck through the wire and hurt the duck--bad--------It was ANOTHER BOBCAT--------I set a big live catch trap a hour ago using the live duck as bait-----------don't worry-----the duck is in a end compartment that the bobcat can't get to him---------so I hope I can catch him tonight----I have the wildlife camera set to take pictures---also have a voice activated talkabout radio set-up next to the trap------so if I catch him--I am sure he and the duck will make noise and activate the radio-------and it will wake me------I will be sleeping lightly tonight-----with clothes on-----with gun loaded-------Sure hope I can get him. Oh-----This is something I have had better luck with than a trap--------is the voice activated talkabout radio's--I set one up on the pen I am having problems with-----turn it on voice activate---keep the other one with me/night stand so as soon as I hear something has a hold on a chicken or is disturbing them------I grab a gun and light--------And have gotten a lot of coons and oppossiums this way and saved alot of chicken's. Good Luck!! Randy

11. Trapper

Trapper Well-Known Member

Most cats won't come to the marshmellows but I am sure there are exceptions. I have trapped many a barn for racoons using them along with peanut butter and bread soaked with honey and have caught very few cats. When I have, I have found that the trap had leftover scent from cat food or fish still contaiminating the trap. Cats like any other animal are creatures of habit and if they have found an easy meal in the past they may be back for another. Hope you get the culprit, good luck. Trapper :)

12. bgak47

bgak47 Well-Known Member

Have you considered using latex gloves when you handle the traps or the bait? Raccoons know the smell of humans.

13. Fire-Man

Fire-Man Well-Known Member Supporter

I caught the Bob Cat last night-------A Male about 20lbs. I wish I could have caught him 5 ducks ago. Randy

14. holleegee

I'm glad you caught him! My live trap was empty this morning.

15. Rockin'B

Rockin'B Well-Known Member

Good news there. At least he won't be causing any further problems.

16. Iddee

Iddee Well-Known Member

I have always used a slice of bread smeared with honey. Works great. Any cats I catch are feral, so it's as good as catching a coon, except for not adding any meat to the freezer.

17. Va. goatman

Va. goatman Well-Known Member

Coons love watermelon I've used eggs to