Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good morning, I have been reading some older treads and thought I would ask a piggy backed question. My husband and I have several livestock including horses, goats, and pigs and we are looking to move to North Carolina in the next year or so. Since we have the animals it has become impossible to find a place to live. All this being said we are both VERY open to a live on position. I have over 40 years experience with Horses and was a small animal vet tech for many years. My husband has learned a great deal from me and his own personal interest since we have been together, mainly with the horses, but some with the pigs and goats.

The reason for wanting to move to NC is due to a job offer for me, I am a registered Mental Health Intern ( about to become fully licensed Mental Health Counselor) and my husband is a welder but loves working with the animals.

What would be ideal for us is a live in situation with my husband care for the farm, animals, whatever to pay for our rent, while allowing me to work off site. Once I am licensed our goal is for us to open an equine assisted psychotherapy center, but that's some time in the future ( unless of course you would be interested in being part of it).

We are both in our early 50's so not interested in anything else besides our animals and our long term goals so we wouldn't be a focus problem.. Anyone have any ideas or could point me in a direction to find these kind of jobs? I have exhausted all the directions I can think of. Thanks Bridie T.

·
In memoriam
79,017 Posts
What part of NC did you have in mind?
Some are more conducive to having animals than others.

·
Unpaid, Volunteer Devil's Advocate
18,472 Posts
You'd like to have a place to live, board several horses, house some livestock, in exchange for feeding someone's livestock and perhaps mucking out some stalls by a middle aged guy with limited farm experience? Cool! I'd quit my job today for that deal.

I have a friend that parks her motor home on a farm, gets some water and electricity, in exchange for feeding a few horses, goats, pigs, chickens and 4 dogs, plus taking the property owner to doctor appointments and shopping.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You'd like to have a place to live, board several horses, house some livestock, in exchange for feeding someone's livestock and perhaps mucking out some stalls by a middle aged guy with limited farm experience? Cool! I'd quit my job today for that deal.

I have a friend that parks her motor home on a farm, gets some water and electricity, in exchange for feeding a few horses, goats, pigs, chickens and 4 dogs, plus taking the property owner to doctor appointments and shopping.
Was thinking of more of a larger facility not just mucking stalls .....but thanks for the reply

·
In memoriam
79,017 Posts
New Bern area
It shouldn't be that hard to find a place to live that would let you have animals.
That part of the state is very rural, and you can be outside of town in less than 10 minutes.

Most of the larger "animal" operations are going to be devoted to hogs and chickens, although there may be some smaller stable operations nearby.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It shouldn't be that hard to find a place to live that would let you have animals.
That part of the state is very rural, and you can be outside of town in less than 10 minutes.

Most of the larger "animal" operations are going to be devoted to hogs and chickens, although there may be some smaller stable operations nearby.
Thanks for your suggestions

·
In memoriam
79,017 Posts
I think the cheapest housing would be to the West or North of New Bern.

If you go South you're getting closer to the military bases, and to the East will be the beaches.

The Highway 70 corridor can get you out to the West and Highway 17 to the North.

·
Registered
10,608 Posts
My Uncle hired a couple of guys once to handle chores around his place. He put them in the barn one morning and handed out brooms and shovels and told them "Don't let me catch you sitting down. If you run out of things to do just walk in a circle until I get back."

1 - 9 of 9 Posts