Live Goats at $2.00 per pound

Discussion in 'Goats' started by moopups, Dec 3, 2004.

1. moopups

moopups In Remembrance

In beautiful downtown Sticks, near Belleview, Fl.
    I am not into goats but earlier today my neighbor got backfrom an auction in Ocala Florida and did say they were selling at that price. Apparently the holiday season includes goats for consumption by immigrant people, its in their traditions and buying any goat at this time of year is going tobe very high in larger city areas. What is the normal price for goats in your area's auctions.

2. dosthouhavemilk

dosthouhavemilk Well-Known Member Supporter

Last year when we sent our bucklings to an auction in PA around November we got about $70 a head for dairy cross bucklings weighing in at around 60 pounds (some lighter). There are definitely high times for prices. The Easter market is huge around here but we usually don't have kisd the right age to send. We will have some this year it looks like...unless I luck out adn we get some does out of Danielle and Liliana!

We are going to be sending one of our breeding bucks (half Boer) and some of our partial Boer wethers (though one is pygmy and two others are all dairy) into the local sale barn with a bull calf. We are going to see what they bring there. They are a little heavier than last year's crop but it was a mistake to keep them this long.

3. trickham

trickham Well-Known Member

I sold some Boer cross wethers and some young Boer billys that weighed around 75lbs. each around a month or month and half ago. They brought around $1.18/lb. Sure wish I could have shipped them to FL. :haha:

I guess the price difference is because the majority of goat meat produced in the US is produced here in my general area of TX, and while some is eaten here, most of what we raise is exported out of TX, so we kinda have a glut, whereas in FL, where there are alot of immigrants who want goat meat, especially this time of year.

4. farmmaid

farmmaid Well-Known Member Supporter

I sell my Boers for meat at $2/lb. live weight...no problem!...Joan

5. Ark

Ark Well-Known Member

In Fredericksburg, TX, last Tuesday at the auction, the average price was $1.35 lb. We sold 2 little ones and bought a beautiful black headed Boer cross. Little does she know how lucky she is! :) She wont be going for meat here at our place.

6. Milking Mom

Milking Mom COTTON EYED DOES

I am seeing more and more goat meat in the grocery store too. I've seen it at WalMart and at Brookshires. At WalMart it was $3.49 a pound. It was all produced and processed here in Texas somewhere. That is great I hope this market holds for the goat meat and doesn't fizzle out like the emu stuff did.

7. trickham

trickham Well-Known Member

A couple of years ago I read an article that said that at that time, if every goat in the US was slaughtered, it wouldn't meet the demand. I'm not sure how that would work out now, as the meat goat industry has grown exponentialy in the past few years, but I don't think we are meeting the demand yet. This demand is coming from the growing Muslim and immigrant populations, who eat goat as a part of their culture, so I don't see how it could be a fad like emu. I am looking forward to years and years of goat prices. :)

8. peakfarms

peakfarms Member

I had some goats in the paper here in Missouri a year or two ago, and I had a wither advertised.
    A gentleman called interested. He basically informed me that all year he buys withers for cheap, fattens them up, then sells them to imigrants duriing thier holiday season for a decent profit.
    We are here in Missouri, and he said he does quit well.