Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Premium Member
12,772 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
http://channel.nationalgeographic.com/channel/live-free-or-die/

About the Show

Live Free or Die explores one of America’s most remote subcultures, following five people who have left the modern world behind to live in backwoods and swamps where they hunt their own food, build their own shelters, and survive only on what they can produce with their own two hands and sharp intuition.

·
Premium Member
12,772 Posts
Discussion Starter #2

http://channel.nationalgeographic.com/channel/live-free-or-die/articles/what-it-means-to-rewild/

What It Means to Rewild
By: Patrick J. Kiger
Published Aug. 29, 2014 In a remote corner of the Blue Ridge Mountains in North Carolina, eight miles from the nearest town, a man named Thorn lives in an improvised hut that he built from wood and leaves, dines upon beans and squirrel meat, and wears mittens fashioned from raccoon pelt. In a day and age when most of us depend upon elaborate electronic gadgetry and dine upon food grown on industrial farms, Thorn aspires to be a self-sufficient modern primitive, who relies upon the forest around him for his daily needs.
“I’ve been accused of being born 14,000 years too late,” he explains, in the initial episode of the National Geographic Channel series Live Free or Die.
Thorn’s lifestyle may be unusual, but he’s not alone. Throughout the U.S., a small but seemingly growing segment of like-minded people are choosing to opt out of civilized comfort and the conventional economy. Adherents of “Rewilding”, as the movement is called, instead live in rural areas where they seek to subsist off the land, hunting and fishing and gathering wild plants for food, and build their own dwellings from materials they find there. To varying degrees, they eschew manufactured products and modern technology as well, preferring instead to rely upon the sort of tools that they can make themselves and operate with muscle power, such as the arrows that Thorn fashions from river cane, or the traps that Gabriel, a California-based fellow hunter-gather, builds from sticks and rocks. They don’t just live off the grid, but often do without electricity and tap water altogether. Thorn won’t even use matches to make a fire.
At the heart of Rewilding is a belief that a modern culture, in exchange for comfort and security, inflicts an unsustainable psychological and physical toll upon humans in exchange for comfort and security, and harms the environment in the process. As Rewilding activist Miles Olsen wrote in his 2012 book Unlearn, Rewild: Earth Skills, Ideas and Inspiration for the Future Primitive, Rewilders seek “to grapple with the problem of civilization at its roots, and our place within that problem.” But Rewilders often see those woes as too profound to solve merely by switching to greener sources of energy, or by sustainable practices such as recycling or buying organic food from local farmers. But unlike Preppers, who stock up on dried beans and ammunition in preparation for the collapse of civilization, Rewilders often think the answer is to opt out of civilization altogether and strive to reconnect with nature, in the way that natives, settlers or even ancient humans did.

·
Premium Member
12,772 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

Meet Amelia

Photograph by National Geographic Television/Lindsay Cooper
Amelia was raised by unconventional parents. She currently live with her husband, Tony, on a plot of land on a Blue Ridge mountainside. After three years, she is thoroughly adapted to life on the homestead. She keeps things organized, cuts the firewood, and maintains her bees. She's learned a lot about construction and agriculture from Tony over the years, and contributes to the ongoing building of their house.

·
Registered
13,422 Posts
Every long-haired Caucasian looks like the medieval paintings of Jesus. :)

Whereas swarthy, longhaired fellows like me always look like we should be rushing an Israeli checkpoint wearing a bomb vest.

Which depiction is more accurate, do you think? :)

But to the point of the rewilding, I love the idea, but there are quite a lot of issues. Who pays their property taxes? Who keeps their children from being taken from them by the state for living in a tent?

I'm not sure that publicity on this way of life is a good thing.

·
Premium Member
12,772 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

·
Premium Member
4,293 Posts
I like Tony and Amelia a lot. My husband still can't see livin life that way. He was raised a super consumer. Tony thinks the way I do.
I have to check out the show.

·
Original recipe!
14,044 Posts
Ummmmm...
My first thought was this article..http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...ow-ancient-paths-natural-fulfilling-life.html

If you look at the pictures, these folks are healthy and glowing and their clothes and boots.. wow! Money!! All I could think was 'Trustafarians'.

Ok.. this coming show.. 'Thorn' (oh for pete's sake. Really?) is living 'wild' on 120 acres of NC mountain land. You're looking at about a half a million dollars worth of land, at least. And if it was left to him in a will or whatever, the property taxes alone would be brutal.

(and I must make mention of Gabriel's hair.. there is some serious product going on to that stuff. I am thinking that he gets it to look like that with a dollop of bear fat)

Ok.. one more negative comment/thought and then I will shut up..
I hope this doesn't prompt people to go 'live in the wild'. Because there isn't much legal wild left. And they are going to build a lean-to on someone's land and start eating some one else's deer and it won't be pretty.
Or they will got 'Into the Wild' and die.

I'm done.
Forgive me.

·
Premium Member
12,772 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
your forgiven....lol

·
Premium Member
12,772 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
land....did you know i seen a bunch of land up here in mtns..mostly 100acre tracks with timber go for $30,000ish in 80's and probably till 93-94ish.....in fact i could kick myself for letting a 160something tract in 1987 with a home,barn and orchard that had a mile and half driveway over steep ridges get away...asking price...$39,999 back then.....but its not like that now...but a few deals pop up.

lots of retires started moving in driving prices up about 93-94ish....i bought in 97 when prices started upward and that was about the end of multi goods deals not hard to find.

tony and amelia have a steep piece of mtn land and from what i can see are living an off grid homesteading life....what many here do.i think they are just minimalist living life as they see fit.about how i live with grid tie but being frugal.

i dont think theres any danger of the masses flocking to be wild.

the hair guy...it says he only lives wild part time of year.dont forget this is being presented to you in a certain way.

·
Premium Member
12,772 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
i think modern nomads/homesteaders/hippies/dropouts/minimalists whatever label you wanna use on each one as none are the same....is a blending of past/present and future....in fact this very way of life is probably the future as we are seeing natural resources disappear.folks are either going to go to population centers where its safe,sound and given "food" or be out away from these places tending,gardens,livestock,hunting,fishing,gathering,wildcrafting for daily needs. i have seen this in many places in my travels already.

Reactions: BlueRose

·
Banned
8,092 Posts
Ummmmm...
My first thought was this article..http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...ow-ancient-paths-natural-fulfilling-life.html

If you look at the pictures, these folks are healthy and glowing
and their clothes and boots.. wow! Money!! All I could think was 'Trustafarians'.

Ok.. this coming show.. 'Thorn' (oh for pete's sake. Really?) is living 'wild' on 120 acres
of NC mountain land. You're looking at about a half a million dollars worth of land, at least.
And if it was left to him in a will or whatever, the property taxes alone would be brutal.

(and I must make mention of Gabriel's hair.. there is some serious product going on to that stuff.
I am thinking that he gets it to look like that with a dollop of bear fat)

Ok.. one more negative comment/thought and then I will shut up..
I hope this doesn't prompt people to go 'live in the wild'. Because there isn't much legal wild left.
And they are going to build a lean-to on someone's land and start eating some one else's deer and it won't be pretty.
Or they will got 'Into the Wild' and die.

I'm done.
Forgive me.
that there was no easter bunny or santa claus......

I'm still waiting to find out all there is on the tooth-fairy..:kiss:

·
Crazy Canuck
4,172 Posts
LOL I'll go against everyone and say I'm not buying it......This prettyboy is wearing rings! Obviously he hasn't snagged one on a branch or something yet, so that tells me that he hasn't done much hard work. We all know the many ways we can get snagged and caught up on things, and how dangly jewelry and hanging hair is a hazzard.
I guess it's all staged for tv

·
Registered
1,602 Posts
LOL I'll go against everyone and say I'm not buying it......This prettyboy is wearing rings! Obviously he hasn't snagged one on a branch or something yet, so that tells me that he hasn't done much hard work. We all know the many ways we can get snagged and caught up on things, and how dangly jewelry and hanging hair is a hazzard.
I guess it's all staged for tv
you will never know until you watch it :cool:

1 - 20 of 36 Posts