Live catch traps costs??

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by moopups, Dec 19, 2003.

1. moopups

moopups In Remembrance

In beautiful downtown Sticks, near Belleview, Fl.
    What is the cost in your area for a sturdy hand built live catch trap? Large enough for even coyotes or small hogs? Thinking of 1/4 rod primeter with stout 1 X 2 wire over all.

2. agmantoo

agmantoo agmantoo Supporter

3. wisconsinwco

wisconsinwco Member

live box traps are the last choice for coyotes as far as i'm concerned although they can be coaxed in with a rabbit,chicken,bird or rodent in a cage inside of the trap louder bait is preferred maybe a rooster . Then stack hay bails around cover top so its dark inside use branches or leaves or what ever is in area if you have no hay.make sure trap is in yotes regular path may take a week or two for him to get used to trap and go in.footholds are much more effective for yotes and you can check out live snares if they are legal in your area very cheap about 2 bucks and very eficiant good luck. Mark p.s. if tou are not a trapper make friends with a trapper so he can help you, yotes are very smart and you don't want to educate him or make him suspicious your problem could be compounded.

4. moopups

moopups In Remembrance

In beautiful downtown Sticks, near Belleview, Fl.
    Thank you for your answers but what I am trying to figure out is if there is a market for traps I can build, mainly for small nusisance animals.

5. I would think the cheapest way to make a coyote trap would be to use pig panels. They would be about the right height and would be solid enough. But I don't think you could make them cheap enough to compete with the market.

6. uncle Will in In.

uncle Will in In. Well-Known Member Supporter

Hi Mitch.. The most popular traps here are the Hav-A-Heart live traps.. They use the type material you mentioned, and come in varied sizes.. The most popular size is large enough to trap large coons.. Coons and possums are the most common nusiance here.. My neighbor snares coyotes, and has good success. The coon size trap is about 10" x 12" x 30.. (guessing) and sells retail betwen $45 and $55 each..
    Have you considered making live traps to capture wealthy Snow Birds? I understand that the widow supply is plentiful.. Unk