Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,018 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All 4 main street blocks of our little town in the Ozarks bout blown off the map! all are evacuated, after noticing a strange odor--which happened to be the sewer lines filled with gas fom a leaking gas station!
Haz Matt director estimated danger, on a 1-10 scale, its a 10, they're flushing sewer with soapy water. 'nuther reason I'm glad I dont live in town! Gas station at this time, still leaking.

·
Big Front Porch advocate
44,852 Posts
Wow, - thanks for the info.

I roam thru the Ozarks when coming back from TX and love them. Just too far from my children to consider living there all the time.

Angie

·
If I need a Shelter
21,532 Posts
Ah put a match to it and it will take care of its selef :p

What town was it in Kansas here few years ago they was keeping Gas in the Old Salt Mines and it got in the water or something almost burnt the whole town down.I know my DW Aunt got a New place out of the deal.I'm thinking Hutchison but I'm probably wrong :shrug:

big rockpile

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
I thought Hutch too BR.

·
Premium Member
5,018 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thought about the match--LOL (not really) problem is, thertes a valley that channels all the sounds in town directly to our farm--3 road miles away, I know its not that far as the crow flies, so we would probably loose all our windows. other than that--theres a good pizza place in town.
We dont need terrorists, we can do it to ourselves!

·
If I need a Shelter
21,532 Posts
ceresone said:
Thought about the match--LOL (not really) problem is, thertes a valley that channels all the sounds in town directly to our farm--3 road miles away, I know its not that far as the crow flies, so we would probably loose all our windows. other than that--theres a good pizza place in town.
We dont need terrorists, we can do it to ourselves!
Yea tell me about it.Years ago some Guys shot into a Truck Load of explosives just outside of Springfield,it blew up,blowed a huge crater,shook windows all over Springfield.Thing is there was about 20 Trailers parked close to us.Mayor told the company to get them out of there.

big rockpile

·
Registered
11,076 Posts
big rockpile said:
What town was it in Kansas here few years ago they was keeping Gas in the Old Salt Mines and it got in the water or something almost burnt the whole town down.I know my DW Aunt got a New place out of the deal.I'm thinking Hutchison but I'm probably wrong big rockpile
It was Hutchinson, but you have the facts somewhat wrong.

For ages in many locations it has been a standard practice to drill into salt formations and create storage caverns by pumping water into the well and pumping brine out until the cavern is large enough to use.

The particular storage facility at Hutchinson had been used for decades. After changing hands some different management was used.

Apparently the newer management decided they would up the gas pressure in order to store a great quantity in each cavern.

The 600+ pound pressure apparently opened a fissure in the formation which is normally leak proof and traveled along cracks in salt and rock formations ending up in many old salt brine wells which were never properly plugged off. Some of these would have been 100 years old which was before proper plugging even came about.

The pressurized escaped natural gas entered one such well and found its way to the surface which was just below where a business had been built decades ago. BOOM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! when it reached an ignition source which was easy enough since it was during the wintertime. Luckily no one was killed.

After a time the fire department realized they certainly weren't battling a normal blaze as the fire kept a plume of gas burning into the air 40 feet or so. Natural gas lines in the area had been shut off so they were not feeding the fire.

An hour or so after the first eruption and fire a mobile home blew up and burned the same way, this being in another section of the city. This took the life of one and another died a few days later from burns.

Before long standing water had gas geysers blowing water into the air as gas escaped.

Several areas of the city were evacuated, most was not. The evacuees were not given time to gather anything, even such items as medication. Only to leave immediately.

Bottom line, only two explosions and few injured. The mobile home park where the second explosion occurred closed and residents had to find a new location for their home. Many of the homes were damaged because pipes burst after piped natural gas and electricity was cut off in the area.

Throughout the city many relief wells were drilled to help get rid of the escaped gas. I had two or three within a block and a half. One burned off gas for weeks, with a 4 inch pipe shooting flame 20 feet or so into the air.

The entire storage complex was shut down voluntarily by the owners. While the state says they can apply for a new permit I don't think the Hutchinson residents would stand for it to be issued.

Most law suits have been settled although some are still in the courts. The biggest monetary losers were businesses that simply had to shut their doors and await being allowed back into the area, and customers feeling safe enough to reenter the area.

·
An Ozark Engineer
13,432 Posts
Holy Cow! That's just down the road a ways! Glad I didn't need to go into WS today!

NeHi

1 - 10 of 10 Posts