Little sloppy eaters

Discussion in 'Rabbits' started by akmtman2, Aug 29, 2005.

1. akmtman2

akmtman2 Member

I was wondering what other rabbit raisers do, if anything, to cut down the amount of feed that the kits waste.

Let me explain. All those little kits come bounding out of thier nest with Mom when I fill her feeder. (So far everything is going great.) So they all take a pellet and the little ones bite a portion off and the balance of the pellet goes straight to the ground for the worms. :grit:

There has to be a way to minimize the lost feed. I just don't know what it is. Any ideas would be appreciated.

2. Alice In TX/MO

Alice In TX/MO More dharma, less drama. Supporter

Sell worms, too? :clap:

Actually, put a small piece of plywood or some other board under the feeder. You might want to add a lip by nailing or gluing a piece of wood molding around the edge of the wood.

3. Tucker

Tucker Well-Known Member

:goodjob: I agree with Rose ,, the boards I use were leftover from my nestbox building ,, pieces are 6 -7 inches x 12 inches ,, at the time I saved them I knew the big pieces would come in handy for something :)

mine don't have a lip but I do insert a small screw in the middle of the bottom .. leaving just enough sticking out so the board don't slide around the cage floor and stays under the feeder ,,

useually around the time the kits start nibbling and I have to put the board in ,, the kits will then use the board to sleep on and start abandoning the nestbox ,,