Little rabbits

Discussion in 'Rabbits' started by Paso, May 5, 2005.

1. Paso

Paso Well-Known Member

I bought some rabbits thinking they were just young LOL I learned a lesson they are full grown infact they diliverd babies that week!!!! Can these rabbits be used to eat? Kinda like a small chicken cornish hen? Anyway I wasnt sure if I should do that or just sell them as pets. Thanks for the help again :)

2. Caelma

Caelma Well-Known Member

I'd sell them for pets (unless you are on a diet)
    and start again with maybe Cals, New Zealands, I think Rex and Palaminos are meat rabbits.
    Silver Fox, and maybe others can suggest other meat breeds.
    Did the people who sold them to you know you wanted meat rabbits :confused:

3. CurtisWilliams

CurtisWilliams Well-Known Member

North of Omaha, on the banks of the 'Muddy Mo'
    Sounds like a dwarf breed. Edible and tasty, but not a lot of meat for your trouble. I'd sell the offspring rather than eat them. If you have a market for pet rabbits, they may fetch $15 - $20 each. For meat rabbits I'd suggest N.Z.'s, Californians or Champagne D'Argents (Silver Champagne Giants) for a large breed. If space is limited the Dutch rabbit is a great smaller breed that dresses out very well. Story's Guide to Raising Rabbits is well worth reading.

I've said this before and it's worth repeating - The Humane Society is a great place to adopt rabbits for little money, especially the larger breeds, and especially now that Easter is behind us. All those cute little easter bunnies, now bigger and unwanted, will be put to death unless someone comes to their rescue.