Little Peach tree

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by Smelt, Jul 20, 2004.

1. Smelt

Smelt Active Member

Hi Folks,

We planted two little Reliance Peach trees this Spring. By little, I mean about 4 feet tall. When they were planted, they were dormant, no leaves and looked kind of like sticks with branches with roots.

Now, the first one has a pretty nice growth of leaves and looks good. The second one concerns me. The main trunk with the 6-7 branches has nothing really happening, except for one lush branch almost at the top off the main trunk. Should I prune all the dead looking branches below this one sprout? Is this tree going to be messed up its whole life because of the single branch?

Your thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks.

2. suelandress

suelandress Windy Island Acres Supporter

And while your at it....I have a cherry tree in the same condition....so will your answer aplly as well?

3. Cyngbaeld

Cyngbaeld In Remembrance Supporter

At this time of year any dead looking branches need to go. They won't come back. It is hard to say exactly how the one branch will grow with out seeing it. Are there any lateral buds that can be encouraged? On either tree? Usually you can prune the tip of a branch and encourage lateral growth, but I wouldn't be too hasty to cut anything off until I was sure of what I was up to.

4. mainefun40

mainefun40 Active Member

Hi!

The kind of weather we've had lately here in Maine hasn't really encouraged new trees---very little sun and not much heat!

I guess I'd talk with someone at Cooperative Extension because the Reliance was developed in NH for our climate and I've read that it has some peculiarities.

I had one we planted this spring, (Mid-May) and it took forever to come out of dormancy.

Pruning recommendations I've read don't include summer pruning of small young trees!