Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Hi, nice to meet you.
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20081105/...nd_littlehouse

Finland rates "Little House on Prairie" adults-only

Wed Nov 5, 11:42 am ET

HELSINKI (Reuters) – Finland has rated the DVD release of the much-loved children's television series "Little House on the Prairie" suitable for adult viewing only.

To save money, Universal Pictures decided not to submit the series to state inspection, the company's Finland marketing manager Meri Suomela told Reuters on Wednesday.

Finnish authorities charge 2 euros ($2.57) per minute for assessing the correct age limit on films and television series. Distributors who forego this can only sell their shows with a sticker saying "Banned for under-18s."

"Long series can get quite expensive to check, and some use this exemption in the law to their advantage," said Matti Paloheimo, Director at the Finnish Board of Film Classification.

"Such unchecked material should not be shown to children publicly," he added.

Little House on the Prairie, which ran from 1974 to 1983, portrayed life in the U.S. West in the late 1800s and was based on the Laura Ingalls Wilder's children's book of the same name.

It remains popular in Finland, and is still shown weekly on Sunday mornings on state-owned broadcaster YLE.

(Reporting by Sakari Suoninen; Editing by Louise Ireland)

·
Registered
3,510 Posts
Way back when I seem to remember them having kittens over the movie E.T. too for some reason. I've been told they have some restrictions on free speech there.

I've never spent any real length of time in Finland. One of the countries of Europe I really want to visit and spend more time in. That goes for all of the Scandinavian countries. I've been to them (for business) but I've never had the chance to really explore them.

·
Registered
2,693 Posts
You know you really have to watch that Mr Oleson- he is pretty shifty! lol
nooooo no no gotta disagree with ya there pal. I'm thinking it's the doc baker guy........hmmmm pill pusher or just nice old guy helping folks from a back office???:p

·
Registered
2,693 Posts
haha- texasartist! I thought Oleson was Baker's supplier! Then you have the town wino - edwards out there behind the mill with his jug in the creek. Geez- what a town! No wonder society is in the state it is today!
good grief suppliers, pill pushers, winos........surprising the series stayed on as long as it did!:p

·
Registered
127 Posts
I thought that Dr. Baker was really just a vet until he moved to Walnut Grove. And then there is that young woman who drops her drawers there at the start of every show.

·
Premium Member
2,373 Posts
What about that woman that started the feminist movement, you know, MRS. OLESON! I mean really! She wouldn't even have children! She adopted that poor little girl Nellie and look how horrible she turned out! Of course, the Ingalls suppressed their girls, you just know that for sure! And of course Mary, well! She was put in a state home for the blind you know and what did she do????? She took it over and ran it! Of all the nerve!

·
Premium Member
9,544 Posts
I read a simular article last week and it said the reason was the religious context.

·
Registered
11,076 Posts
Way back when I seem to remember them having kittens over the movie E.T. too for some reason.
As far as I'm concerned the screen writers for E.T. took a great movie and ruined it with one two word sentence. It would prevent me from showing it to young children as they pick up and use every phrase that is new to them or has shock value. Except for the one sentence I thought the movie was great.

·
Registered
3,510 Posts
As far as I'm concerned the screen writers for E.T. took a great movie and ruined it with one two word sentence. It would prevent me from showing it to young children as they pick up and use every phrase that is new to them or has shock value. Except for the one sentence I thought the movie was great.
Maybe they sanitized it in the new release. I know they replaced the government agent's handguns with walkie talkies for fear of traumatizing kids with the sight of guns.

·
Registered
3,510 Posts
You wanna know something really disturbing? There actually exists something called Little House On The Prairie erotic fiction. Waltons too.

Disturbing it is. Very disturbing.

·
Premium Member
1,376 Posts
I agree, we didn't get to watch the movie in school because of the curse words in it.

·
Premium Member
1,376 Posts
I read a simular article last week and it said the reason was the religious context.
I wouldn't be surprised if this was the reason, just a sign of the times in that part of the world.

·
Registered
3,510 Posts
I don't even want to know how you know this.
Oh I've seen plenty of disturbing things in my time. You hang around the right (or wrong) crowd long enough and you'll see about everything.

If it has been on TV or been a movie it's probably been turned into erotic fiction. Everything from disney cartoons to sitcoms to sci fi movies. I'm told it was somewhat lucrative work at one time.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts